Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schilke 51D?

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    However, be aware that some mouthpieces change over time (the design). Wick seems to have varied some over the years. Also, a 51D from 30 years ago will not play like a 51D from the last decade, in my experience.

Good point, Dave. Any seller should be able to provide information on approximately when they purchased it.
    I don't know about Schilke, but there are certainly many pages of discussion on the internet about which era of Bach mouthpieces is better. (Mt. Vernon vs the others.)

The only mouthpiece I've ever played on is a small shank Schilke 51D that I got in college in 1982, along with my Yamaha 321. I've been generally happy with the tone, but wouldn't mind a little darker tone and more responsive playing. Would a different mouthpiece, with a deeper cup for example, be a good idea? I'm curious about how a newer 51D might be different, as well.

3. I use a Schilke 51d small shank for my Besson 955 baritone, which I play in brass bands, and I play a Sterling Virtuoso euphonium with a Denis Wick SM3X large shank mouthpiece in my concert bands. The Schilke 51d gives me a warm baritone sound without compromising the embouchure I use for my Denis Wick SM3X, and the Schilke is also a very fine mouthpiece for euphonium based on my experience, along with playing alongside other euphonium players who use it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12