Thread: America The Beautiful - Samuel Ward, arr. Carmen Dragon

America The Beautiful - Samuel Ward, arr. Carmen Dragon

The mention of Carmen Dragon's arr. came up in another discussion thread. I found this link below on another forum (too bad I didn't find it a few days ago closer to July 4th). This is the Iowa All-State Chorus and Band in 2012 with Dr. Jerry Blackstone (MI) conducting. Looks to be over 200 in the band and reported as 600 in the choir. Very well done!! Excellent balance and good intonation and... the trumpets didn't over do it in the last few measures.

America The Beautiful - Iowa All-State Chorus and Band 2012

A little known fact is that Carmen Dragon is/was Daryl Dragon's father. Daryl was the Captain in the pop duo, "Captain and Tennille" from the '70s.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

2. I first played that tune at a Stanislaus County (CA) Honor Band in 1966 or 67. The conductor was .....Carmen Dragon! Mr. Dragon was conductor of the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra and the quintessential Hollywood showman. Long flowing golden hair. He looked like the kind of conductor one saw in the Looneytoons cartoons.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band