Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Info on proffesional grade euphoniums!

Help! Info on professional grade euphoniums!

I am a high school student about to jump into college. I would like to be able to play Euphonium in a proffesional setting and would like a proffesional(ish) grade Euphonium that will play well and really sing. Most of my solos or high ranged so I need an instrument that is solid through all partials. I've been looking and gettting an old Besson New Standard 1960-1970 serviced but I wanted time outside opinions. My budget is $4000 max and I really don't want a Yamaha, I don't mind them but they are too vanilla and pedestrian for my liking. Thank you!
    Last edited by Timebust; 07-02-2017 at 12:50 AM.

I'm a huge fan of the packer line. I played that, the Adams, willson, yamaha, and the besson at TMEA in February, and liked the packer better than all of them except for the Adams. I wound up getting the 274s for way less than $2000. The 374 is more expensive, and I think it has a trigger, but I couldn't detect many other differences that made it worth the extra money

For you budget you should be able to find a good deal on a really nice besson or even a willson, but be careful, Besson went through a time when quality control was terrible,and it's still difficult to get parts for them

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Hello Timebust and welcome to the forum! For $4000, you can probably find a good used Besson Sovereign or perhaps a used Sterling. They play well and really sing as long as the person holding the horn is doing their part, too. For much less ($1K to $1.2K), you can get a horn that I would characterize as about 80-90% as good as a top line pro model, which make either of the following two horns a phenomenal value. That would be the Wessex Dolce or Mack Brass Euphonium. Both made in China, but quality has vastly improved with these horns and the companies (Wessex and Mack Brass) have a very hands on approach with the factory. It sounds like you own a Besson New Standard, circa 1960-70? That might be a very acceptable horn to use if it is in very good condition. And perhaps take that to college and then see what the prevailing winds are so to speak. I play an Adams, but doubt you will find one, even used, for $4K. Keep looking in the For Sale section of this forum. Dave Werden, the administrator and world class euphonium player, posts many euphoniums for sale (or rather the links to them on eBay mostly). You will see many possibilities.

Now then, me being somewhat of a teaser, I must tell you that if you aspire to play euphonium in a professional setting and want a professional grade euphonium, you will need to learn how to spell professional (one 'f', two 's'). Don't skip all your English/grammar/spelling classes, even if you skip them for music!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Perhaps one of the moderators can move this thread to a more appropriate topic rather than Euph Mouthpieces. I would if I could, but I can't so I won't.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

5. Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Perhaps one of the moderators can move this thread to a more appropriate topic rather than Euph Mouthpieces. I would if I could, but I can't so I won't.
    Done. I moved this to Euph Brands. Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Thank you for the information! Sorry, I was all over the place today, there's really no excuse for my misspelling. Also thank you for getting this post moved, I didn't mean to file it under mouthpieces. I mean, atleast I'm a high school student using his resources to gain accurate and reputable information, haha.
    Last edited by Timebust; 07-02-2017 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Hello Timebust and welcome to the forum! For $4000, you can probably find a good used Besson Sovereign or perhaps a used Sterling. They play well and really sing as long as the person holding the horn is doing their part, too. For much less ($1K to $1.2K), you can get a horn that I would characterize as about 80-90% as good as a top line pro model, which make either of the following two horns a phenomenal value. That would be the Wessex Dolce or Mack Brass Euphonium. Both made in China, but quality has vastly improved with these horns and the companies (Wessex and Mack Brass) have a very hands on approach with the factory. It sounds like you own a Besson New Standard, circa 1960-70? That might be a very acceptable horn to use if it is in very good condition. And perhaps take that to college and then see what the prevailing winds are so to speak. I play an Adams, but doubt you will find one, even used, for $4K. Keep looking in the For Sale section of this forum. Dave Werden, the administrator and world class euphonium player, posts many euphoniums for sale (or rather the links to them on eBay mostly). You will see many possibilities.

Now then, me being somewhat of a teaser, I must tell you that if you aspire to play euphonium in a professional setting and want a professional grade euphonium, you will need to learn how to spell professional (one 'f', two 's'). Don't skip all your English/grammar/spelling classes, even if you skip them for music!!
    I'm really intrigued by the Wessex. I have been playing on a pretty beat up Yamaha 642. I love euphonium and the Yamaha hasn't been bad by any means, I just want more than Yamaha. Besson was just suggested to me by a fellow who does amazing repair and rebuilding work, Dan Oberloh. I was originally looking at a Yamaha 842s but he talked me off of that cliff. I really don't want to have to upgrade or change euphoniums anytime soon once I buy one shortly here. I am just not educated in what models and brands are solid these days compared to my needs, and sadly I don't have a convention nearby, that I know of, to test these instruments.

I wouldn't discount Yamaha's professional models. I haven't played the Neo but the reviews are excellent. That said, it's over your budget new. For $4k you can get a used professional horn or as others mentioned above, a new Chinese horn. Wessex seems to have the best, most consistent quality.

I have similar opinions as the others that have responded. I just got a new Adams with all the bells and whistles. The horn that I used prior is a JP374ST, it is a great horn. For reference, I will share how I ended up with the Adams. I played a Willson 2900 in high school and college. When I sold it, I tried many lower priced horns, from the Meinl 551( not cheap, just not a top end horn), Wiseman, Mack, and so on. At some point I got to play mostl of the typical horns from Yamaha, Besson, even a prototype for the HB.
    I would guess that the choice you make will not be the last horn you own. At some point would guess you will end up with one of the "top" horns, assuming your playing time and level push you that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Timebust View Post
    I am a high school student about to jump into college. I would like to be able to play Euphonium in a proffesional setting and would like a proffesional(ish) grade Euphonium that will play well and really sing. Most of my solos or high ranged so I need an instrument that is solid through all partials. I've been looking and gettting an old Besson New Standard 1960-1970 serviced but I wanted time outside opinions. My budget is $4000 max and I really don't want a Yamaha, I don't mind them but they are too vanilla and pedestrian for my liking. Thank you!
    I see you're playing a Yamaha 642 that really is a professional grade horn, yes there are others out that that are slightly better, but what is it about the Yamaha that you want to improve on? If you're looking in the used market (or new for that matter) make sure you actually get some face time on the horn. You may find out that horns in the $4,000 range used or new may not be an upgrade from what you're playing on now. If your Yamaha needs work you could spend some of that $4,000 getting it rehabbed and have a lot of money left over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast