Thread: Heat Exposure

Heat Exposure

I'm currently on my third DCI tour but my first with my concert horn. Most of the time if I spend more than a day at a school I'll bring the horn with me into the school but if I'm leaving that housing within 24 hours I'll leave it on the bus. Today in California temperatures got to about 110 degrees and I imagine much more on our buses. Could this potentially damage my horn?
    Marco Santos - Marcher and Performer
    Guardians Drum & Bugle Corps 2015
    Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps 2016, 20i7, 2018

Adams E1
    Modified Schilke 52E2 by Justin Gorodetzky

Mine rides in the rear of our wagon all the time.

AC up front not back there.

Was right at 120F today, no harm done but a bottle of Hetmans #1 bloated up like a beach ball (didn't leak).

DDG

3. If being on a hot vehicle could damage brass instruments we wouldn't have drum corps. I'd be more worried about anything else you leave in the case, especially bottles of valve oil -- they can expand and burst open or force the cap off, leaving a greasy mess everywhere.

Hot? Nah...

Melted slide grease would be absolutely nasty. I keep the necessary lubes in a ziplok to contain if it happens.

BTW, here is a shot of our thermometer just outside a window, in the shade at 1400hrs.

Imagine what a closed-up car gets to here in the Phoenix area.

DG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails June17 014.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    Melted slide grease would be absolutely nasty. I keep the necessary lubes in a ziplok to contain if it happens.

BTW, here is a shot of our thermometer just outside a window, in the shade at 1400hrs.

Imagine what a closed-up car gets to here in the Phoenix area.

DG
    In Phoenix, about 155 degrees or more.

See http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ure/408857001/
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Brass instruments are pretty tolerant of temperature and moisture. Not so with stringed instruments! I once forgot to remove my violin from the car after a long trip to Miami. The glue melted and it fell to pieces! Fortunately the wood wasn't damaged, but there was some damage to the finish. It was put back together and is still a good fiddle (played it today as a matter of fact).