Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Wessex Tornister Euphonium

1. New Wessex Tornister Euphonium

Wessex fantastic new small travel euphonium or tornister baritone is now on website and available to order.

https://www.wessex-tubas.com/shop/eu...um-maly-er154/

www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

2. I had a chance to play one of these at NABBA in Ft. Wayne yesterday and I loved it! I didn't realize I needed another euphonium, now I'm coming up with excuses to buy this little beauty.

3. Finally placed my order, hooray! Can hardly wait!
    Last edited by Koukalaka; 11-24-2018 at 06:28 AM.

Congratulations. I hope you got the Black Friday price as well on this. Let us know how you like it. I bought the duplex euphonium last week about this time. It arrived on Tuesday, shipping is fast.

Nice! Looks like a neat instrument.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

6. Quote Originally Posted by pvflanigan View Post
    Congratulations. I hope you got the Black Friday price as well on this.
    I did...$1400 instead of $1750 for the lacquered version, this just barely put it in range of what I could spend. I was looking at the Mighty Gnome too (tornister CC tuba), hoping that one of them would be discounted for the holiday.

I saw that Wessex will be opening a store in Chicago—when this happens, I may need to make a trip there to try all of their instruments including that duplex.

I was REALLY shocked at how much fun this little horn was to play. I didn't want to put it down

Congrats! It is a ridiculously fun instrument to play.

9. I received the "Maly" in an incredibly short time. I placed the order on Friday, 11/23. They shipped the horn in the early afternoon (UK time) Monday, and it arrived at my door in Indiana in the late morning Tuesday--about 27 hours after it left Wessex. That's overnight shipping from the UK to the central United States--wow. Photos to follow.

10. Shipping crate from Wessex:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5044.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	6447

Nicely packed in plenty of foam, with a complimentary Wessex baseball cap, bottle of valve oil, pencil, and what I think is a mouthpiece case:

Name:	IMG_5045.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	6448

The Maly in its cute little case:

Name:	IMG_5046.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	6449

First glance of this beautiful little instrument:

Name:	IMG_5047.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	6450

The Maly is really fun to play. Obviously this is a small instrument with a small bore, and it sounded a little stuffy for the first few minutes when I started playing. It's easy to overblow when I'm used to the airflow of my Mack Brass compensating euphonium. But after a little adjustment in intonation, the Maly does make a nice sweet sound. The valves are super smooth right out of the box. There was a tiny bit of metallic rattle that seemed to resonate with a few notes--I thought it was from the end screws on the valve block or from the little rail thing that keeps the tuning slide from falling out, because it seemed to go away when I tightened them, but it has come back a few times.

Fit/finish are otherwise pretty good--there is a little bit of greenish corrosion where the bracket that holds that little rail is soldered to the instrument--any idea how to safely get rid of that?

Sorry about the photos all being rotated--they are right-side up everywhere else, but somehow when I insert them here the system rotates them 90 degrees counterclockwise.
    Last edited by Koukalaka; 12-01-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast