Thread: Alliance WA52-2 Prestige 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Alliance WA52-2 Prestige 2

Hello fellas,

do you have some experience with Alliance Prestige 2 mouthpiece which is in the same size like SM3? Until now I did not know, that Alliance makes another mouthpiece range except DC range. In description of this product is noticed, that Steven Mead was the one of designers. Really? Is it an old range, or a new one?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/alliance_w...phonium_gr.htm

I am looking forward to your replies.

Jan
    Jan Vundr
    York Eminence 4052 Euphonium
    SKODA AUTO Wind Band, Czech Republic | www.brassmaniac.com
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    York Bb Tuba | Amati oval Euphonium | Denis Wick 3AL (silver finish with golden cup & rim)

2. Jan,

The WA52-2 is the original mouthpiece shipped with the Besson Prestige when it was reintroduced by Buffet-Crampon. I think that Wick's production (or at least their sponsorship of Steven) got messed up when the Besson part of Music Group went into receivership. So when the new Prestige first came out, Steven was pushing the Alliance mouthpiece. The choices were Alliance E2, E3, or E4, equivalent to SM3, SM4, or SM5 respectively. The model numbers you see now (WA52-2, WA52-E, etc.) are a new system. Within about a year or two, Steve went back to Wick with the SM3U and later SM3X. If you look at the new SM3's, they look and play a lot like the Alliance. Steve no longer promotes Alliance AFAIK.

I still have my Alliance E3 (WA52-3?). After my Wick 4AL, it is the only other mouthpiece I use on euphonium.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Jan,

The WA52-2 is the original mouthpiece shipped with the Besson Prestige when it was reintroduced by Buffet-Crampon. I think that Wick's production (or at least their sponsorship of Steven) got messed up when the Besson part of Music Group went into receivership. So when the new Prestige first came out, Steven was pushing the Alliance mouthpiece. The choices were Alliance E2, E3, or E4, equivalent to SM3, SM4, or SM5 respectively. The model numbers you see now (WA52-2, WA52-E, etc.) are a new system. Within about a year or two, Steve went back to Wick with the SM3U and later SM3X. If you look at the new SM3's, they look and play a lot like the Alliance. Steve no longer promotes Alliance AFAIK.
    So If you were following the Steven Mead mouthpiece development timeline:

1 Original Denis Wick SM range
    2 Alliance E range (now called Prestige range)
    3 Denis Wick SM Ultra range
    4 Denis Wick SM Ultra X range

I think this is correct.
    Last edited by EuphoJon; 06-22-2017 at 04:22 AM.