• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MaxR97
    • Jun 2017

Need help choosing one out of 3 available euphoniums from $639-$985

Hello everyone,
    I am going to enter my second year in college and my instructor infomed me that the euphonium I was using was one of the worst ones, a Jean Baptiste. I do not wan't to keep renting it so instead I have decided to have a really small budget of $1000 and under. Unfortunately there are no facilities or good music stores anywhere to try euphoniums. I know its rather difficult to rely on some online shopping sites, so I have been checking Amazon. Right now I am looking at 3 euphoniums that are on the stronger side of the cheap end. They are:

1. Cecilio 2Series EP-280 Lacquer Brass Bb Euphonium with Stainless Steel Pistons

Lacquered Yellow brass body and bell Bb euphonium with rose-brass lead pipe
    Lightweight, .566" bore, 12" upright bell
    4 stainless steel smooth top action pistons
    Includes: silver plated mouthpiece, pro-deluxe hard case, polishing cloth and a pair of gloves
    1 Year Warranty Against Manufacturer's Defects
    price is $639.99

2. Schiller 400 Series 4-Valve Euphonium

Big, Warm Sound
    Modern Inline 4-Valve Block
    Key of Bb
    Mouthpiece Included
    Case Included
    price is $565.95 (+ 45.29 shipping)

and 3. Schiller Elite IV Euphonium Gold Inline

Professional 4 Valve Inline Euphonium
    Plazma Welded Bell
    Dual .591-661" Bore
    12" 80/20 Heavy Duty Bell
    Genuine Schiller Mouthpiece and Hard Case
    price is $985.00 (+ 4.49 shipping)

I would really appreciate your opinions. Thank you.
    Cecilio 2 series
    0%
    Schiller 400 series
    0%
    Schiller Elite IV
    0%
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

Welcome to the forum! The only one on your list that I think may be acceptable, is the last one, the Schiller. I suspect your quote for shipping must be wrong. The Wessex Dolce or Mack Brass for a bit more money ($1200 - $1400) would be better. They're both made in China, but with more quality control for a dependable product.

See this post: (be sure to read post #8 by Jonathan)
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...w#.WUkkKLEpChA

Here's a link for prices of new Wessex:
    https://www.wessex-tubas.com/shop/eu...lce-euphonium/
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• howrdhodge
      • Sep 2015

I know your budget is limited, but the three choices you've listed are little, if any, better than what you currently have. Schillers can be OK, but quality is really hit and miss. For $200-$300 more you can get a Mack Brass or Wessex 3+1 compensating horn that would be very decent. I think you'll find lots of validation of that opinion if you read through this forum.

I notice that the three you list are all 4-valve inline models, like the Yamaha 321. Is there a reason you aren't looking at compensating instruments?

Have you asked your instructor what he/she recommends?
      Last edited by howrdhodge; 06-20-2017, 08:53 AM.

Comment

• Cameron J.
        • Mar 2015

This is only my opinion, but if you are second year of college, shouldn't you have at least a 4v comp euph already? Are you studying music or another subject?

I would agree with Rick. Out of the three, the only one that would be barely passable would be the Schiller Elite IV, but even then, you can find much better value (performance to cost). I know you may have a very limited budget, but you would be much better off paying a bit extra and going with a Wessex Dolce. Unfortunately with instruments, you get what you pay for. For $1000 and under, you will be very hard pressed to find anything of good quality that will get you through college.
        Last edited by Cameron J.; 06-22-2017, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• highpitch
          • Mar 2006

Buy a Wessex.

Or a good used Yamaha 321.

Don't waste your $ on those others.

Dennis

Comment

• John Morgan
            • Apr 2014

If you are a music major, don't think about the choices you showed in your post. At least a Wessex or Mack Brass. Talk with your teacher. If he/she recommends any of those horns you mentioned, AND if you are a music major, get another teacher.
            John Morgan
            The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
            Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
            1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
            Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
            Year Round Except Summer:
            Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
            KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
            Summer Only:
            Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
            Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• aroberts781
              • Sep 2014

Max,
              For what it is worth, I bought a Schiller Elite compensating euphonium (the $885 one) and have been happy with it. If you are firm at staying below $1000, you can do fine with Schiller. If you can spring a little more go Mack Brass, and if you can spring even more go Wessex. Cheers.
              1976 Besson 3-valve New Standard, DE102/I/I8
              1969 Conn 88H, Schilke 51

Comment

• MaxR97
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by howrdhodge View Post
                I know your budget is limited, but the three choices you've listed are little, if any, better than what you currently have. Schillers can be OK, but quality is really hit and miss. For $200-$300 more you can get a Mack Brass or Wessex 3+1 compensating horn that would be very decent. I think you'll find lots of validation of that opinion if you read through this forum.

I notice that the three you list are all 4-valve inline models, like the Yamaha 321. Is there a reason you aren't looking at compensating instruments?

Have you asked your instructor what he/she recommends?
                I am looking at compensating euphs but I din't realize that ALL of them have the fourth valve on the side, as I have never played one in that design. Unfortunately Wessex and Mac Brass are not on Amazon and is outside my budget. Right now I have also just been looking at a
                Schiller Elite Compensating Euphonium ($985), a Stagg WS-EP245 Bb Euphonium ($830) and a Ravel REP204 4-Valve Euphonium ($828).

Comment

• John Morgan
                  • Apr 2014

You stated your budget was $1000 or less. You can get a brand new Mack Brass Euphonium for $995. This is a MUCH BETTER horn than any of the ones you have spoken about, in my humble opinion. If you are serious about playing/studying euphonium, the Mack Brass is such a better choice. What does the euphonium being on or not being on Amazon have to do with anything? Is that the only place you will buy? Do you have some sort of credit with Amazon? Not understanding that. If you are worried about buying outside of Amazon, don't be if you select a Mack Brass or Wessex. Highly reputable and secure in doing business with them. For inexpensive euphoniums, Wessex and Mack Brass are the clear choices, the others not nearly as much and some a complete waste of money.
                  John Morgan
                  Summer Only:

Comment

• RickF
                    • Jan 2006

I agree with everything John said. I too don't understand why the new horn has to come from Amazon.
                    Rick Floyd
                    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                    Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• MaxR97
                      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by John Morgan View Post
                      You stated your budget was $1000 or less. You can get a brand new Mack Brass Euphonium for $995. This is a MUCH BETTER horn than any of the ones you have spoken about, in my humble opinion. If you are serious about playing/studying euphonium, the Mack Brass is such a better choice. What does the euphonium being on or not being on Amazon have to do with anything? Is that the only place you will buy? Do you have some sort of credit with Amazon? Not understanding that. If you are worried about buying outside of Amazon, don't be if you select a Mack Brass or Wessex. Highly reputable and secure in doing business with them. For inexpensive euphoniums, Wessex and Mack Brass are the clear choices, the others not nearly as much and some a complete waste of money.
                      Thank you for opening my mind. As I searched Wessex I noticed that there is a front valve compensating euph. for $750, I want to know if there is a reason that it is several hundred dollars less than the Dolce compensating euph. I will call them tomorrow and hopefully make a final decision.

Comment

• John Morgan
                        • Apr 2014

You might need to look a little closer. The Festivo is a new model, and the selling price is just under $2000 ($1950 in silver, $1850 in lacquer). The $750 price (which I find a little confusing) is the amount you need to pay now as a deposit to reserve one of these horns for August. But, as I said before, the Mack Brass is $995. Here is their web site: http://www.mackbrass.com/Euphoniums.html . Check them out!!
                        John Morgan
                        Summer Only:

Comment

• Cameron J.
                          • Mar 2015

Plus the Mack Brass one is modelled after a Yamaha 642. So you get the benefits of a 4 valve compensating instrument at a low cost.

Comment

• dsurkin
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by John Morgan View Post
                            [snip] If you are worried about buying outside of Amazon, don't be if you select a Mack Brass or Wessex. Highly reputable and secure in doing business with them. For inexpensive euphoniums, Wessex and Mack Brass are the clear choices, the others not nearly as much and some a complete waste of money.
                            I bought my horn from Mack Brass. Tom patiently answered all my questions, and post-sale service was excellent.

Schiller horns are re-badged JinBao horns. Mack Brass horns are also made by JinBao, but Tom has a better reputation among members of this forum. Wessex horns are (I believe) manufactured by JinBao with certain design upgrades developed by Wessex. I would be wary of Stagg or Ravel, because I don't know what factory makes the horns. The price seems a little low for JinBao horns. There are a number of euphoniums made in India, and those factories do not yet have the reputation for quality that JinBao enjoys.
                            Dean L. Surkin
                            Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
                            Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
                            Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
                            See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

Working...
                            X