• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joan
    • Jun 2017

Order placed

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
    The Wessex baritone is a fine choice if you are not going to play in a concert band and like the smaller, brighter sound of the baritone. But it is not what I would recommend for a concert band setting.
    Well, I placed an order for the King 2268 Euphonium. I'll see how it works out. I guess I could put it back up for sale on e-Bay if it turns out to be too big for me. Then I would probably order the Wessex Baritone specified by John. Thank you both for your very thoughtful replies and information provided. I can't wait to see how this works out!

Comment

• Joan
      • Jun 2017

And thank you, Barry, as well. I just saw your message, and it is reassuring. Thanks!

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Joan View Post
        Well, I placed an order for the King 2268 Euphonium. I'll see how it works out. I guess I could put it back up for sale on e-Bay if it turns out to be too big for me. Then I would probably order the Wessex Baritone specified by John. Thank you both for your very thoughtful replies and information provided. I can't wait to see how this works out!
        Fun!! Please keep us posted on your impressions as you get it and work with it for a while.

Most people use their left hand to grip the outer tube somewhere that is comfortable. I also used a grip near the bell and mouth-pipe ("leadpipe"), which helped me control it better when marching. Sometimes it seemed natural to do this while sitting, too, but that unconventional grip may not work for small hands (I never noticed anyone else using it).

You are going to need a mouthpiece that is comfortable for you. I think I was using a Bach 7 or 9 in high school, but by today's standard of tone that was too small. In the Bach line and some others, a larger number means a smaller cup diameter (inside diameter). Smaller makes for easier high notes and brighter tone; larger makes for easier low notes and better tone. A pretty common mouthpiece for someone who is learning the horn is the Bach 6-1/2AL. That can be 50-75 dollars new, but Kelly makes some very nice copies of the popular sizes in Lexan:
        http://kellymouthpieces.com/kmtrombonesmall/index.asp

AND you can get colors!!

The 51D you see on that same page is also very good, but maybe not quite as good for a learner. It might be a next-step choice when you get some strength in your chops. That's a copy of a Schilke mouthpiece, which uses a different number system. The 51D is a teeny bit wider in diameter but considerably deeper.
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• enhite
          • May 2012

Originally posted by Joan View Post
          Since I'm short (5 ft.), I'm looking for something on the smaller end of the size range.
          If you are looking for inspiration from a "short" euphonium player, you can't go wrong with Misa Mead. I don't exactly know how tall she is, but she is certainly petit. However, she plays like a giant.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyG4TzrsvGg
          Good luck with your new instrument.

Comment

• Joan
            • Jun 2017

Update on the used King 2268

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
            Fun!! Please keep us posted on your impressions as you get it and work with it for a while.
            Dave and Others,

I wasn't able to get the King 2268 after all. Thirty minutes after I ordered it, received Confirmation, and PayPal PAID for it -- the seller cancelled on me (I didn't meet her requirements)! Only I wasn't aware of this until later that night (last Monday) because as soon as I saw the confirmation and payment, I turned off my computer and went on my way for the day, as I had other things to do. It came as a shock to me that a seller could do this on e-Bay. Guess she wanted to sell it to a young student. It didn't seem right to me, though.

Anyway, I have some serious family responsibilities I have to deal with and so I'm postponing this decision for the time being. Will be back in touch later.

Again, thanks for all the advice and ideas that you provided me with! The forum is a great thing you are doing.

Comment

• RickF
              • Jan 2006

We're sorry to hear that Joan. I didn't know that about ebay either. Good luck with your family issues.
              Rick Floyd
              Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
              Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
              The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
              Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

Working...
              X