Thread: Arthur Lehman Audition for NAVY Band??

Arthur Lehman Audition for NAVY Band??

“When one door closes, another opens.”
    Alexander Graham Bell

Read a new article about Arthur Lehman's audition for the U.S. NAVY Band. Keep in mind Arthur was later the euphonium soloist for the U.S. MARINE Band:

http://www.dwerden.com/eu-articles-l...y-audition.cfm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marines.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	5186
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Great story!
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

I really like reading these stories. Thanks Dave for sharing these.

One story about Harold Brasch (aka "Mr. Euphonium") that impressed me was that he used to memorize his music for Navy Band concerts. This was according to Brian Bowman's hour-long tribute to him at one of the TUSABTEC conferences years ago (2004?). It was purported that he'd come on stage without music or stand. Then after numerous questions from patrons about this, the director ordered Mr. Brasch to bring his stand and music. Later on he had to be ordered to open his folder and get out the music too.

From Windsongpress...
    "Brasch became one of the finest performers on the euphonium, which earned personal endorsements for his work as a soloist: Herbert Clarke (conductor Long Beach Municipal Band) " ... unexcelled on his instrument." Edwin Franko Goldman (conductor of Goldman Band) " ...a great artist and I had him in my band." Arthur Lehman (euphonium soloist of the U.S. Marine Band) " ... as a soloist, Brasch doesn't make mistakes." Oscar Short (solo cornet, Sousa's Band, U.S. Navy Band) " ... finest fingers in the business." Simone Mantia (solo euphonium, Sousa Band, Pryor Band, World's Fair Band, Band of America, Metropolitan Opera) " ... the tone I wish I had." George Polce (solo euphonium Armco Band) " ... an artist and a musician." Commander C. Brendler (conductor, U.S. Navy Band) " ... the world's finest." E. Whitefield (euphonium soloist, U.S. Air Force Band) " ... sure taught me a great deal." Colonel William Santelmann (conductor of U.S. Marine Band) " ... best in the service." Dr. Merton Utgaard (camp director of International Music Camp) " ...he has truly earned the title of Mr. Euphonium."
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)