Thread: Looking for accessories

Looking for accessories

I finally purchased a horn and now I am looking for accessories that will fit. Namely a grime gutter, lyre, and guards that will work with a Wessex BR140 Baritone (Compensating). I looked on the Wessex and Leather Specialties websites, not finding much. I am not against making my own guards, but want to see how much commercially available ones run first. Where are a few good places to shop for brass instrument accessories? I want to keep the silver/nickel finish looking good for a long time.
    - Sara

You don't want to use leather guards on a silver-plated instrument as they promote tarnish. They also tend to trap moisture under the guard (even the ones with barriers like the LSCO ones) which will eventually do bad things to the finish. Get a soft cloth (I like microfiber car towels) and wipe down the instrument after every few times you play it and the silver will stay nice for a very long time. Glass cleaner can help with stubborn fingerprints. Use silver polish when it starts to tarnish, maybe once a year. Nothing to abrasive or that requires you rub hard.

If you really want to get guards because you like the feel, you can make your own pattern using paper and send that to LSCO to manufacture. Make sure you take them off frequently to clean underneath.

As far as a grime gutter, I don't know if you really need it on that instrument. Do you get a lot of drips from the bottoms of the valves? I don't believe the bottom caps have fittings for a metal gutter, but you could use the rubber/plastic JoRal one if it really was a problem. I wouldn't worry about it.

http://www.wwbw.com/Jo-Ral-Grime-Gut...#productDetail
    --
    Barry

The horn is brand new; I purchased it earlier this month. Consequently, I don't know if I get a lot of drips yet. It just seemed that so many on this forum thought that a grime gutter was a good idea, that I thought I should order one.

Similar with the guards. I think that they look good and that they help protect the instrument. So I wanted to add them to my kit. The finish is actually silver-nickel, which as I understand does not actually have any of the mineral silver in it at all. So now I am unsure whether this is something I need to be concerned about or not. The guard does not actually have to be leather to satisfy me.

So what kind of "polish" should I be looking at?

Please give me some idea of how often you mean when you say, "Make sure you take them off frequently to clean underneath."

I appreciate the advice as a new horn owner.
    - Sara

The Jo-Ral Grime Gutter (mentioned above) would NOT work on any of the 3+1 instruments that I own. Wessex has a nice one that probably works on all Jin Bao made 3+1 valve euphoniums. (It comes in silver or brass finish.) It fit my Besson New Standard nicely. A good gutter beats trying to clean the valve oil and water off nice concert wear.
    https://www.wessex-tubas.com/?s=water+gutter

Oh... I wasn't aware that Wessex sold instruments with nickel plating. (not nickel-silver, which is an alloy of copper, nickel, and zinc) Nickel plating is a different story and it will get cloudy looking fast. I would get guards for that, for sure. Just keep in mind that you will need to take them off periodically -- like once every few weeks. I would use a water-based brass polish, like Wrights.

enhite, we're talking about a 3-valve baritone here, not a euphonium. It does not have the nipples on the bottom valve caps for the Wessex gutter to attach. I am not certain the jo-ral will work either, but I think there's a pretty good bet it will.
    Last edited by bbocaner; 05-31-2017 at 06:11 PM.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    enhite, we're talking about a 3-valve baritone here, not a euphonium. It does not have the nipples on the bottom valve caps for the Wessex gutter to attach. I am not certain the jo-ral will work either, but I think there's a pretty good bet it will.enhite
    Oops. Thanks for your explanation. I tried to look for Ms. Hood's instrument, but missed it. The Jo-Ral might indeed do the trick.

Tell me more....

And where to find guards that fit a Wessex baritone? I am not looking to have something custom designed. I think I can do that myself, if it comes down to that.
    - Sara

I own a BR140. You do not need a grim gutter. The way the horn is held during playing, the valves are away from you (like a trumpet) so it doesn't dribble on your clothes. I play mine in church. We wear white shirts and I've never had a problem. The bottom caps on the valves are round so any of the standard grim gutters will not work. I have a lacquer version and do not use guards. I'd check with Wessex on care of the finish and if you need guards. (I don't think you do.) I use blue juice valve oil on my horn. I oil it every time I play. I strongly suggest you do the same. The BR140's are great sounding horns that play very well in tune. I use a Denis Wick 5 BS or 6 BS mouthpiece. As far as accessories, a new mouthpiece is likely the only thing you need.

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    Oh... I wasn't aware that Wessex sold instruments with nickel plating. (not nickel-silver, which is an alloy of copper, nickel, and zinc) Nickel plating is a different story and it will get cloudy looking fast. I would get guards for that, for sure. Just keep in mind that you will need to take them off periodically -- like once every few weeks. I would use a water-based brass polish, like Wrights.

enhite, we're talking about a 3-valve baritone here, not a euphonium. It does not have the nipples on the bottom valve caps for the Wessex gutter to attach. I am not certain the jo-ral will work either, but I think there's a pretty good bet it will.
    I'm using the Bach grime gutter on my 1941 Boosey Imperial. That horn does not have the nipples either, and with just a little back-and-forth, this rubberized gizmo fits squarely around the Imperial's valves. I dump the water after practice, otherwise you have a science project growing. Works okay.

https://www.jwpepper.com/10390916.item#/submit
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)