Thread: Mazurka - Nicholas D. Falcone history?

Mazurka - Nicholas D. Falcone history?

Hello,

I will be performing Mazurka for a small recital coming up and I was trying to get some background on the piece. I understand that Nicholas Falcone dedicated the piece to Glenn P. Smith, trombone professor at Michigan State, but I don't know anything other than that. I was wondering if someone knew why it was entitled Mazurka, seeing as that's a polish word and Glenn Smith was American.

Thank you.

2. You are correct in that Mazurka is a Polish word. More specifically it's actually a Polish dance in which the strong beat usually falls on 2 rather than 1. When playing Falcone's Mazurka you will definitely want to make sure that each phrase moves towards beat 2 and that beat 3 is then softer and the beginning of a new idea.

When I was a freshman Music Major (wind Instruments-Euphonium) at the University of Michigan, one day my private teacher gave me a new solo to play and asked if I would like to play the first performance of this in recital. of course, I was pleased to do so. I played the first performance in a Kappa Kappa Psi Recital ON January 31, 1965 in the Recital Hall of the School of Michigan, Ann Arbor. I have the program which I have posted. Nicholas Falcone, who was William Revelii's predecessor as director of bands at the University of Michigan until he went deaf before 1935, still lived near campus in Ann Arbor. Although he was totally deaf, he still attended many concerts and recitals. He was a great band arranger and also composer. He came to the recital in January 1965 to hear the first performance of the Mazurka that he had written and dedicated to Professor Glenn Smith. After the recital he came backstage to congratulate me on the performance and then proceeded to teach me by singing it to me, his interpretation of the style and the feel of the piece. To this day whenever I play this Mazurka I use his interpretation which is very exciting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	falcone-Mazurka-first performance program 1965-Jan 31 UofM BLB.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	7514

As a side note,I had several conversations with Nicholas Falcone in which he told me he had brought over a clarinet solo from Italy which had become very popular among euphonium players called FANTASIA DI CONCERTO by ed. Boccalari. it was interesting to know that both Nicholas and Leonard Falcone were students at the University of Michigan when band director positions came open at both the University of Michigan and Michigan State University. Of course all euphonium players are aware of Leonard Falcone at Michigan State, but not so many know that his brother Nicholas Falcone was the band director at the University of Michigan.
    Dr. Brian L Bowman, Regents Professor of Euphonium Emeritus, The University of North Texas
    Former Prinicpal Euphonium-The United States Navy Band, The Armed Forces Bicentennial Band, The United States Air Force Band
    Last edited by brianbowman; 03-25-2020 at 09:18 PM.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Nice to see a post from Brian Bowman. Let's see, you joined in June 2009. Don't wait 11 years before your next post!! Just kidding. Hope you are enjoying your retirement.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)