Quote Originally Posted by sansvie View Post
Thankfully, we are part of a homeschool band program so the instrument only has to travel from home once a week. We've made it 2 years with only one minor incident with his euphonium. And "ugly" isn't a problem at all, I just didn't know which dents could affect playability. Honestly, I think he's convinced I won't be able to find one at all so he'll be pleased as punch with whatever is put in his hands. He seems to actually like the pre-purchase dents in his euphonium and knows them all well - kind of like knowing the feel of an old, comfortable chair.

I've got leads on a couple of Yamaha YBB-321 instruments for less than $1500, neither of which would require me to ship. And I will check out some of the other brands and specific instruments you all have mentioned.

Thank you all so much for your help!
A Yamaha 321 will be a good instrument for your son. If you get a change to have him try it prior to purchase so you can assess size that would be good. Also, if you can, have a tech or someone with experience look it over so you know something about the mechanical soundness of the horn prior to purchase. On any used horn, I recommend bringing it to a tech for a leak check, internal cleaning and valve alinement. The tech may also be able to take out some of the dents. This can be done for a couple of hungered dollars or much less if there are no significant problems. Your son will be much happier with the horn. You'll likely need a new mouthpiece. You can go with a plastic Kelly 24, 18 or a Kellyberg. All will work with the yamaha and they are reasonably unbreakable.