Thread: King 2280 Valve Guide Clatter

1. King 2280 Valve Guide Clatter

I just recently purchased a used King 2280 in superb cosmetic condition...it was originally purchased in 1984, so it's been played...a lot. I've had it professionally cleaned and serviced and I love, love, love it's dark tone. But I'm getting annoying, persistent clatter from all four valve guides as they bounce off the side of the valve keyway in the valve housing as I'm playing. There's a fair amount of slop detected when gently twisting the keytops back and forth.

1. Is there anything that can be done to remedy this?
    2. My understanding is that the newer 2280s have replaceable nylon valve guides. Is it practical/possible to replace the existing valves with the newer style?
    3. Are newer models built better/worse than those circa 1984?
    4. The seller has offered to purchase back the horn if I so desire. Should I consider a new 2280?
    5. Am I making too big an issue out of this.

Thanks, in advance, for your feedback and suggestions.

Best regards,
    Bob Leety

Welcome to the forum!

I know what you mean. Valve guide clatter can be distracting these days (in "the old days" no one seemed to notice, because all horns had metal guides).

Part of the problem may be wear. As the guides wear they don't fill the slot and will make more noise. A new set of metal guides installed by a good repair tech will probably quiet the horn a good bit.

There are also techs with experience retrofitting nylon guides to horns that did not have them originally. I'm not sure if the easier path is to get the new versions, or if an after-market set might fit the old horn better - a repair tech could tell you.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I'm having the same issue with an old King 2280. My repair tech is addressing this and several issues now. He quoted $80 as the price of installing nylon valve guides as part of the work.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Fishlips View Post
    I'm having the same issue with an old King 2280. My repair tech is addressing this and several issues now. He quoted $80 as the price of installing nylon valve guides as part of the work.
    Please let me know how it works out. I'd really prefer to do something similar and keep this horn.

I will let you know. It may be a while, however, as this is part of a more extensive project and my horn is waiting its turn in line for the careful attention it will need.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Fishlips View Post
    I will let you know. It may be a while, however, as this is part of a more extensive project and my horn is waiting its turn in line for the careful attention it will need.
    I just brought my horn to Matt at Dillon Music and he drilled out and tapped the original holes to accept the new Meinl Weston guides (3 mm x .5 mm pitch). Perfect! Couldn't be happier.