Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wessex Festivo

1. In case I did not make it clear, the quality of the Wessex Festivo far exceeds that of any other instrument of Chinese manufacture with which I have had any experience - both those that I own and those of my acquaintances. I appreciate your efforts to continue to improve your products, and it is encouraging to hear that you are addressing the problem with the valve caps.

Have you done any specific changes to your BR140 3-valve compensated baritone that might correct the intonation issues that exist with similar horns such as the Schiller stencil of the Jin Bao baritone? The Schiller that I own is flat on almost all of the valved combinations even when the open notes are tuned sharp. That is hard to fix. If it were the other way around, perhaps pulling a few slides would correct the problem. I would be willing to try a Wessex baritone if I knew the intonation problems were corrected.
    Last edited by dkstone; 07-14-2017 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo

2. Quote Originally Posted by dkstone View Post
    Have you done any specific changes to your BR140 3-valve compensated baritone that might correct the intonation issues that exist with similar horns such as the Schiller stencil of the Jin Bao baritone? The Schiller that I own is flat on almost all of the valved combinations even when the open notes are tuned sharp. That is hard to fix. I it were the other way around, perhaps pulling a few slides would correct the problem. I would be willing to try a Wessex baritone if I knew the intonation problems were corrected.
    We have made various changes to the BR140 making it different from the Schiller and feedback from customers is it plays far better in tune. Wessex also has a 4-valve compensating baritone, BR144 coming out later this year. That was originally inspired by the Besson Prestige, but we have made various changes, so is now a completely new design with notably an open wrap 4th valve for much better low register response.
    Last edited by Jonathantuba; 07-14-2017 at 03:39 AM.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

3. Thank you so much for your review of the instrument. I am curious to see what you mean about the lead pipe angle and how you have to hold the instrument at a 45 degree angle from your body. Could you post a picture?

Bottom line: If the instrument is at all more comfortable to hold than the normal euphonium in terms of the weight and strain on the left arm, then I'm pretty much sold. It also sounds like they accidentally discovered a way to improve the intonation of the instrument as a side effect of straightening out the tubing, which is amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if the big names are already thinking of ways to copy this design. Thanks to Wessex for innovating and improving an already wonderful instrument, the euphonium.

[QUOTE=dkstone;142180However, by far and away the most aggravating thing about the Festivo for me has been the valve caps. You have to be very careful to keep them from cross-threading when you screw the caps back on after oiling the valves. I had similar problems with my Schiller 3 valve compensating British baritone (also of Chinese manufacture) when it was new, but eventually the problem got better. Perhaps with time the threads will wear in and thread more easily.[/QUOTE]

I think I have an easy tip that will help with the cross-threading problem. Check out this new video, which I quickly recorded yesterday (but I've been meaning to for a long time!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhMzkgQQtSw
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks for all the updated reviews of the Festivo. I haven't been discouraged about buying one at this point other than the cross-threading issue which I'm sure will be worked out in due time. The only other is the high B natural above the staff (bass clef) which I've read a lot about on compensated horns. Dave has a good suggestion on the cross threading. I have also used very successfully is to turn the cap backwards without any downward force to level it off. It has worked on the Conn I bought used and really seemed to wear back into where it wasn't a problem anymore. My own 24I at times has been a bit of a challenge. Sometimes it has been my own fault.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

6. Quote Originally Posted by RhymeBobster View Post
    Thank you so much for your review of the instrument. I am curious to see what you mean about the lead pipe angle and how you have to hold the instrument at a 45 degree angle from your body. Could you post a picture?
    Here is a photo showing the Festivo's lead pipe.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wessex.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	5358

Compare that to the lead pipe of a Reynolds Contempora Diatonic BR02, which is a traditional American style euphonium from the mid 1960s.

Name:	Reynolds.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	5359

You cannot hold the Festivo parallel to your torso like you can the Reynolds because of the position of the lead pipe. Those older American style euphoniums were designed as dual purpose horns to be used in both concert and marching. When standing or marching, you would hold the horn against your torso and cradle your left arm underneath. They were very comfortable horns to hold wether standing or sitting. While the Festivo is not uncomfortable, it is just different, and it takes some time to get used to the new position.

7. Thank you for the picture. I understand what you mean now. It's not angled vertically. It's angled outwards horizontally.

Because it's so difficult to try this instrument before buying, I am scouring the Internet for the very few good descriptions of this horn, like yours and Matonizz's on YouTube. I am serious about buying this horn, but I just need more information about what the playing position and overall feeling of holding the horn is like. A normal euphonium is rested on the left thigh when sitting. Do you rest this horn on your right thigh when sitting? Where do you grip the horn with your left hand? Do you reach across the horn with your left arm, or do you hold the tubing on the side of the instrument, like an American-style marching "baritone"?

Name:	pbg-alumni09-4.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	5360
    (from http://www.toledoblade.com/Music-The...mni-bands.html)

What about the finger rings? Does the thumb ring have a comfortable position/angle that helps when playing standing up? Does the horn feel heavy and tiring to hold for a long time, or does it feel well-balanced?

Sorry to pelt you with so many questions. I would appreciate some feedback from the manufacturer about this as well. This is really a new (old) style of instrument that I have never seen in person before. I am familiar with the standard British-style euphonium and the American-style marching "baritone," but it is difficult to imagine how this hybrid instrument feels in the hand. Again, I am primarily curious about the weight and balance of the instrument in the arms. Sound-wise, it seems like a great horn with improved intonation. And you can't beat the price. Unfortunately, I am unable to travel to the rare exhibition shows where the Wessex horns are shown, and they're not available in music stores.

Thank you very much for all the information!

8. When designing a new instrument like the Festivo, it is a balancing act between different factors. We wanted a front valve euphonium that played as well as the Dolce, but with the greater comfort of front action valves. In order to maintain the internal profile of the Dolce, the leadpipe could be no longer and not wrap around like those old American baritone. We got it what seemed to us a comfortable angle and that is how the first batch have been made.

However Wessex is always responsive to customer feedback and trying to improve, so are not adverse to develop and improve further. Customer feedback has been 100% positive on how the Festivo plays - if anything it exceeds even the EP100 Dolce due to less bends in the tubing. However the one thing some customers have not always liked is the leadpipe angle, so from 2nd batch the pipe now goes a little further around the bell - about another 15 degrees. So if you have tried the first batch and have not liked the leadpipe angle, try the second batch (arriving August) - you may prefer. One other small change to second batch is slight move of thumb ring by 4th valve and made removable for those that don't use.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

9. Quote Originally Posted by RhymeBobster View Post
    Thank you for the picture. I understand what you mean now. It's not angled vertically. It's angled outwards horizontally.

Because it's so difficult to try this instrument before buying, I am scouring the Internet for the very few good descriptions of this horn, like yours and Matonizz's on YouTube. I am serious about buying this horn, but I just need more information about what the playing position and overall feeling of holding the horn is like. A normal euphonium is rested on the left thigh when sitting. Do you rest this horn on your right thigh when sitting? Where do you grip the horn with your left hand? Do you reach across the horn with your left arm, or do you hold the tubing on the side of the instrument, like an American-style marching "baritone"?

What about the finger rings? Does the thumb ring have a comfortable position/angle that helps when playing standing up? Does the horn feel heavy and tiring to hold for a long time, or does it feel well-balanced?

Sorry to pelt you with so many questions. I would appreciate some feedback from the manufacturer about this as well. This is really a new (old) style of instrument that I have never seen in person before. I am familiar with the standard British-style euphonium and the American-style marching "baritone," but it is difficult to imagine how this hybrid instrument feels in the hand. Again, I am primarily curious about the weight and balance of the instrument in the arms. Sound-wise, it seems like a great horn with improved intonation. And you can't beat the price. Unfortunately, I am unable to travel to the rare exhibition shows where the Wessex horns are shown, and they're not available in music stores.

Thank you very much for all the information!
    Maybe this will help.

While playing seated, I have usually placed my euphoniums centered in my lap resting on both thighs and tilt the horn slightly from the vertical either left or right (for front action or top action) to bring the mouthpiece in line with my mouth. The Festivo is different in that it rests only on my right thigh. It was a little uncomfortable at first, but I am getting used to it. The thumb ring for the right hand is in a good position, and the angle is adjustable. There is also a thumb ring soldered in place for the left hand on the front of the horn above the 4th valve in case you want to play that valve with your left index finger. However in my case, being a pinky on #4 player, that is about as useful as teats on a boar. The placement of my left hand varies depending on the chair I am in and the resulting seating position. I have found that probably the most comfortable for me is to hold the main tubing and fourth valve tubing on the opposite side of the bell from the lead pipe. Sometimes I may hold the second valve slide which goes up above the valve. And sometimes I hold the main tubing and 4th valve tubing several inches above the 4th valve with my thumb through the pull ring on the 3rd valve compensating loop. That last position is the one I use when playing standing as well. In truth I am still experimenting with various positions.

From the post that Jonathan just made, it sounds like they are actively addressing problems. The removable left hand thumb ring is definitely a good idea, and repositioning the lead pipe sounds like a good move. I hope some of my comments have helped in improving the instrument. None the less, the Festivo is an exceptional bargain and a welcome addition to the marketplace. I am very pleased with mine, even if I don’t have the benefits of the latest upgrades.

I understand the reluctance to buy a horn without being able to play test it beforehand, as that is how I purchased mine. I believe Wessex does offer a 14 day trial period in which you can return it if you are not satisfied. As long as an instrument plays well, which is certainly true of the Festivo, I usually find a way to adapt to any minor annoyances.

10. dkstone, thank you so much for the information. Thanks especially to Jonathantuba for innovating and constantly improving the design of the euphonium instead of merely sticking with what's worked in the past. I believe the euphonium has so much untapped potential as a unique voice, and by clinging to past designs or limiting the instrument only to the situations where it's been used in the past, we hold back the vast potential this instrument has. I believe in what Wessex is doing. I don't see any other major manufacturers truly trying to innovate and improve the design of the euphonium the way you are. For that reason alone, I think it's worth investing in your product.

I am still concerned about how the instrument feels when held. I realize it is not weightless, but I would hope it is better balanced than the normal euphonium. In any case, I would probably get a Euphonium Lap Pad and Hand Strap from Quick Horn Rinse. I think those would help with some of the problems I had in the past with the weight of the instrument. I tried the Ergobrass for euphonium with no luck. I hope the Festivo euphonium will make it easier on my left arm.

From the pictures I've seen online, it seems like there is less weight, stress, and having to reach across the instrument with the left arm. Do you feel like this is true? I sure would appreciate it if the manufacturer released a video about the instrument, just showing the basic playing position and features of the horn.

Name:	13072642_1190018001011460_9147661198670820183_o.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	419.8 KB 
ID:	5364 (from https://www.facebook.com/WessexTubas...type=3&theater)

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	5365 (from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBiWMLspe60)

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast