Thread: Development of an Ergonomic Euphonium

1. Development of an Ergonomic Euphonium

Read my blog on how Wessex new ergonomic euphonium was developed -
    http://www.wessex-tubas.com/developm...mic-euphonium/

www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

I really enjoyed that blog post/story! Until then I had not thought about the fact that this valve placement requires less severe bends for the tubes, for one thing. I'm anxious to try the new design when I have a chance!

Wrapping the 4th valve tubing over the top is a familiar concept to me, because the old-style American 4-valve horns did that. Does it make the balance better or worse for holding the thing up?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. I think it makes the balance better. More evenly spread within the body
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Jonathan, you do realize, don't you, that you are causing some major violation of the Tenth Commandment -- the one against coveting thy neighbor's [euphonium]?
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

5. I am a contrarian on all front action euphoniums. I played the above horn at USABTEW this year, I have played the Willson 2975 and its predecessor, and I own a Conn 24i. I find them uncomfortable for me because of my big belly. Holding the horn against my body impedes my diaphragm. With the front action horns, having the right arm wrapped around the horn brings it too close (the horn hits my belly instead of ribs...). Even with a light horn like my Conn 24I this is an issue. Further, holding the weight on my right hand feels like it slows finger action on the valves. Of course, when I was 16-20 years old and weighed 50 lbs less, the breathing thing was not an issue!

Top action euphoniums are easier for me to hold away from my body when seated or standing, aiding breathing. Ergonomically, my new Adams is the best I have ever played. Low mounted 4th valve (due to long 1-2-3 valves) makes it easier to cradle the horn in my left arm and hold it against my hip when standing. The Adams is a tall horn which means the leadpipe angle is perfect when seated. Short, top sprung valves make fingering a delight. And the horn is not heavy.

My Sterling is heavy, and not quite as comfortable as my Adams, but still more comfortable for me than my Conn 24i front action.

Doug
    Last edited by daruby; 04-26-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I agree with Doug that top-action is more comfortable and more ergonomic, although I don't find front action to be particularly bad either. (I also agree that the leadpipe height on the E3 is fantastic!)

However, different things work for different people.

I did try the Festivo at TUSABTEW and thought it was great. For orchestra I don't really see the need as you'd typically be on the right-hand side of the tubist, so if the tubist were using a left-facing instrument and you were using a right-facing instrument there wouldn't really be any problem there. There's a euphonium player in one of the 1st section NABBA bands who uses a Willson 2975. He sounds great on it but it kind of forces an odd setup for the band. Where I think it'd be really useful would be in a symphonic-style brass ensemble such as Washington Symphonic Brass, Barclay brass, Millar brass ensemble, Burning River Brass, etc. In these groups, the euphonium usually (but not always) is on the left-hand side of the tuba and having a bell that points the same way would be advantageous.

I think it's great that this is available, is affordable, and plays great! Keep up the good work, Jonathan.

BTW, I've just ordered a Wyvern CC tuba from Andy in your US office. I'm really looking forward to getting it!!
    Last edited by bbocaner; 04-26-2017 at 11:27 AM.
    --
    Barry