Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djwpe
    • Dec 2008

Having owned both and settled on the Miraphone, I'd agree with Dave, that the biggest decider is whether you want to sound "British". If you do, then the Miraphone will be as wrong for you as the Sterling was for me.

Don

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
    If I were considering both right now, and could not try them side by side anytime soon, my choice would come down to:

Miraphone if I feel I can produce air beyond what I currently do, if I want a huge sound, and if I can give up much of the British tonal quality (or what that means in my head, anyway).

Sterling if I am willing to be more in the middle on bigness of sound, or if I feel I'm maxed out for my air supply, and if I really like the British flavor (or what that means in my head, anyway).

I don't think anyone would say you're wrong no matter which you choose; I think your friends, family, and band-mates will be pleased with what they hear on either; I think you'll just plain have fun on either!

A stereo store near my old home that carried mid->high-end gear, really encouraged people to do a home trial on speakers especially. They knew that all their gear was good, and they knew that no quality speaker sounds as good in a store as in most homes. So their experience was that when people got them home they were happy with the choice. It's kinda like that here. I think you'll be tickled to own whichever one you choose - they are both absolutely top of the heap instruments. Speaking personally, if I were to find the Adams did not fit me well, those two brands are the first two I'd consider for myself.

Comment

• davidapaulson
      • Sep 2010

David,
      The advanced fingering book page does not come up with this URL. Has it been removed?
      dp

Comment

• RickF
        • Jan 2006

You're right. The link to Cimerron doesn't work. Try Amazon here:
        https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Fing...dp/1494720604/
        Rick Floyd
        Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
        Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
        The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
        Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

Thanks, Rick! Also, I fixed the original link and it should now work. Cimarron updated their site's software and most of the old links don't work now.
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

Working...
          X