Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valve oil

1. Quote Originally Posted by enhite View Post
    Can you please tell us how long ago you had your instrument chemically cleaned? It would be interesting to know how long before the gunk reappears.
    It's been 5 months since the chem clean. I practice about 1/2 to 1 hour a day. About once a week (more if I'm performing) I take the valves out, clean, and re-oil. I've not had a sticky valve since the chem clean. The first time I have a sticky valve I will have it chem cleaned. Where I live, the chem clean costs $60. If I have to have it done twice a year, it will be well worth the money spent.

KKORO

Quote Originally Posted by enhite View Post

Interesting concept. Please keep us informed of how this works. Of course, it would seem that alcohol, being a solvent, would negate the "long lasting" part of valve oils that claim to have superior staying qualities.
    The large Herco "Spitballs" do a good job on euphoniums. I think the liquid in the container is partially isopropyl alcohol.

3. I've used Al Cass "Fast" valve oil for several decades now with no residue buildup. As the saying goes, "works great, lasts long time". Rumor has it that Al Cass took 18 months to develop the oil at the request of Dizzy Gillespie. I don't know if that's true but it makes for an interesting rumor...
    1979 Yamaha 321S Euphonium
    1965 Conn 7G/6H Valve Trombone
    2014 Wessex BR140 Baritone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12