Thread: Suggested mouthpiece for a Euphonium player?

1. Suggested mouthpiece for a Euphonium player?

1st year educator, played Euphonium as my major instrument through out undergrad. I have a Mack Brass Tuba on the way and I already know the default mouthpiece isn't going to cut it (I have a Mack Brass Euphonium, I don't even know what I did what that included mouhpeice the day I got it). I usually play on a Denis Wick Steven Mead Ultra 3 mouthpiece, which is pretty much the deepest cup that I could find. I love the mouthpiece. On trombone or my small bore Euphonium I use a Bach 5G, which I used in college for our marching horns and it's a decent mouthpiece. For cornet I use a Denis Wick 2.

So if you can't tell, I generally like deep cup mouthpieces. I don't want or need anything too fancy as I'm only using the mouthpiece for demonstration for my students and personal etude work. Any suggestions?

2. It too own a Mack brass euphonium and you are right about the mouthpiece that came with it.....it's junk. That said, don't immediately rule out the one that comes with the tubas.

We bought a set of Mack TU200 tubas last fall for our advanced middle school group and the mouthpieces that came with them are very decent and useable. I think it is a clone of a Bach 22 if I recall correctly. My advice would be to wait and give it a try before you go mouthpiece shopping.....especially if you are just playing the tuba for demonstrations, etc. also remember.....being a euphonium player, ANY tuba mouthpiece is gonna feel very deep to you initially.

enjoy your new tuba!

You might want to consider a Conn 120S. You can get a plastic version from Kelly to try for little money. A brass version is on the low end of cost for a tuba mouthpiece. If you are willing to spend a bit more, Denis Wick 3L is popular among euphonium doublers.

When I switched from bass trombone to tuba a got a Conn Helleberg 120 and still have it. It worked really well.

Here are some reviews: http://www.wwbw.com/Conn-Helleberg-S...er-483833.wwbw
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

5. Quote Originally Posted by EuphGuy View Post
    It too own a Mack brass euphonium and you are right about the mouthpiece that came with it.....it's junk. That said, don't immediately rule out the one that comes with the tubas.

We bought a set of Mack TU200 tubas last fall for our advanced middle school group and the mouthpieces that came with them are very decent and useable. I think it is a clone of a Bach 22 if I recall correctly. My advice would be to wait and give it a try before you go mouthpiece shopping.....especially if you are just playing the tuba for demonstrations, etc. also remember.....being a euphonium player, ANY tuba mouthpiece is gonna feel very deep to you initially.

enjoy your new tuba!
    It just came in today and you're right. The mouthpiece is surprisingly decent. I think I will use it for a while and see how much I like it in the long run. As for the other recommendations the Helleberg will be my next mouthpiece I look into.