Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeGuilbo
    • Feb 2006

Need to post more love for my K&G 3.5D - I've been playing on it now for two years (bought 2nd hand on these forums here) and every day I seem to fall in love with it more. Of all the mouthpieces I've ever played (and I have NOT played the Demondrae piece) it comes the CLOSEST to being the "everything" mouthpiece for me. My best summary is 90% of the Wick singing sound for 200% more endurance. I also am a player who uses a LOT of mouthpiece pressure, not for any particular reason than bad habits, and this is probably why I can last longer on this MP. It feels smaller on my face than a Wick 4AL despite being bigger.

One thing that has happened recently though - I dropped inside the Bonna case (actually it feel out of the back of my van and onto the pavement) and the bell was crinkled. Had Scott Mandeville at Tim's Music in Sacramento fix it up but ever since then the horn has developed a vibration with the K&G on Middle Bb (whole step below Middle C). I took it back to Scott and when the horn was dropped, something moved out of place with the AGR and now I have this buzz. Thick grease seems to help but apparently the K&G shank is a bit different than standard shanks (like the Wick which doesn't exhibit this problem) and doesn't fit 100% flush inside the Adams AGR.

So I bought Brandon Jones' Neo with Trigger and will see if this horn works for me with this MP - that's how much I love the MP. I am willing to part with my Adams E3 to make the MP work.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

Jake,

Hmm. Seems odd that the AGR would cause this, when it had not caused it previously. It seems more likely that the wire inside the bell rim is vibrating. It is not soldered, and if bell has been reworked the wire could cause vibration. The bell may need its crimp tightened.

A different mouthpiece could produce more resonance on a given note and cause enough extra vibration in the horn that it makes the bead buzz.
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• JakeGuilbo
        • Feb 2006

Well the grease in and around the AGR fixes the problem - so it's possible but this is what the tech diagnosed as the issue and he knows about the bell rings and is a master brass technician - we briefly considered this as the source of my vibration back when I had the Geneva. I will say I bought the Yamaha before I took it to him regarding the buzz, so we'll see how the two horns sound, etc. The point though was I was willing to throw away the Adams to keep the MP lol
        K&G 3.5D
        San Francisco Brass Band

Comment

• RickF
          • Jan 2006

I’m now intrigued about the K&G mpc after reading some of these reviews. Like Jake, I too tend to use too much pressure when playing... especially toward the end of a two-hour concert. I don’t think the 3.5 will work for me because of its size. The Wick 4AL never worked for me (too wide of a rim), and the Demondrae mpc sounds great on my M5050 but the throat is too large for me (sucks even more air out of me). I think what might work for me is something around a 4.5 AL equivalent. I’m currently using the Warburton Brandon Jones model. It works really well for me but I’d like a bit more endurance. I wonder what size I should consider? Thanks for any suggestions.
          Rick Floyd
          Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
          Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
          The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
          Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)
          ​

Comment

• jkircoff
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by RickF View Post
            I’m now intrigued about the K&G mpc after reading some of these reviews. Like Jake, I too tend to use too much pressure when playing... especially toward the end of a two-hour concert. I don’t think the 3.5 will work for me because of its size. The Wick 4AL never worked for me (too wide of a rim), and the Demondrae mpc sounds great on my M5050 but the throat is too large for me (sucks even more air out of me). I think what might work for me is something around a 4.5 AL equivalent. I’m currently using the Warburton Brandon Jones model. It works really well for me but I’d like a bit more endurance. I wonder what size I should consider? Thanks for any suggestions.
            I'm in a similar position. The Demondrae MP has a beautiful dark and open sound but it requires a lot of work and endurance. I substituted it in favor of a Parker 4G MP that I constructed at NABBA this year that matched up well with my Sterling, and so far I'm pretty satisfied (I have some slotting issues that I'm working on but I think it's due to myself still getting used to a smaller MP).
            James Kircoff
            Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
            Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Comment

• franz
              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by RickF View Post
              The K&G mouthpieces have the identical rim profile for all their products: you can go from the various sizes and instruments with the same sensation on the lips. Their table of comparison between the various brands provides smaller sizes than they actually are: if I can help, below there is a list of the measures I have done personally with the MP I have or have had. Don't take them literally, as the measure is taken on a curved surface, but it is done by my person and can offer a reliable comparison.

K&G:---------------------- DW--------------------- Schilke-------------------Bach
              2,5: 26,7 mm--------SM 3: 26,7 mm-----------51B: 25,6 mm-------6 1/2AL: 25,4 mm
              3: 26,4 mm----------SM 3X-U: 26,4 mm-------51D: 25,6 mm
              4: 26 mm------------DW 6BS: 25,5 mm--------5,1D: 25,6 mm
              Last edited by franz; 05-07-2019, 11:42 AM.
              2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• RickF
                • Jan 2006

Thanks Franz, this should be helpful. Looking at your measurements I might go with a K&G 4 (26mm). The Doug Elliott rim I used with my Yamaha 641 was an LT-102 – which equates to 25.9mm.
                Rick Floyd
                Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)
                ​

Comment

• franz
                  • Dec 2015

Hallo everyone,
                  Dennis Kurun Camilleri, owner and designer of K&G mouthpieces, contacted me yesterday telling me that he made an euphonium mouthpiece upgrade. He did four 3D pieces and told me if I was interested in having one on trial. He has developed a different internal profile of the cup that has meant a massive improvement that turns out to be easier to play, more flexible, and a rounder and cleaner sound. When it arrives I will make a report.
                  2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by franz View Post
                    Hallo everyone,
                    Dennis Kurun Camilleri, owner and designer of K&G mouthpieces, contacted me yesterday telling me that he made an euphonium mouthpiece upgrade. He did four 3D pieces and told me if I was interested in having one on trial. He has developed a different internal profile of the cup that has meant a massive improvement that turns out to be easier to play, more flexible, and a rounder and cleaner sound. When it arrives I will make a report.
                    I'm very interested in the outcome - I have played the current 3D extensively; I would love to hear about the differences.
                    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                    Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• JakeGuilbo
                      • Feb 2006

Same although I really see no reason to change my 3.5D - it already does everything I have wanted a mouthpiece to do for me.
                      K&G 3.5D
                      San Francisco Brass Band

Comment

• franz
                        • Dec 2015

Hi everyone, I've testing the new K&G 3D mouthpiece for a few days and I have to say that I'm just excited about it. On a visual level there are no significant differences compared to the old one: with a more in-depth analysis the new weighs a few grams less, slightly deeper with a slightly less cup-shaped profile, a little more V profile of the cup with the throat a couple of tenths smaller. As a result it is easier to play with it, the attack of the notes is safer, the high register is very easy to obtain: I arrive effortlessly at F, and the C#, a sore point on my Besson, is no longer a problem. Compared to the previous the sound is slightly darker: with the old I get a brighter more incisive sound. I can say that this is the best euphonium mouthpiece I've ever played with. I congratulate Dennis for the passion he puts into his work to make the life of us musicians easier and more efficient.

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
                          • Jun 2018

Ohh, that's definitely interesting. Too bad I just got mine earlier this year. SO won't be able to afford changing to the new one any time soon. Loving the current one though, so if the newer one is a huge improvement, I definitely look forward to it
                          "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
                          Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• DutchEupho
                            • Apr 2006

Problem I have with changing a mouthpiece without changing the type number is: How can I (as a customer) see if I'm testing a "new" type? How do I know and how does the retailer know?
                            Is there a way to visually see if it's a V1, V2 or even V3?
                            Last edited by DutchEupho; 11-06-2019, 12:32 AM.
                            Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
                            Trombone: Benge 175F

Comment

• franz
                              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by DutchEupho View Post
                              Problem I have with changing a mouthpiece without changing the type number is: How can I (as a customer) see if I'm testing a "new" type? How do I know and how does the retailer know?
                              Is there a way to visually see if it's a V1, V2 or even V3?
                              I put the question to Dennis and he tells me that it's an upgrade and the difference is small so no need to make a sign, the characteristics are the same but more finer. So the euphonium mouthpieces that he will be manufactured from now will be with the new profile, but only the most popular sizes ( 3,5 4 and 4,5 ). For the others will have to wait until the stock runs out.
                              Last edited by franz; 11-07-2019, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• franz
                                • Dec 2015

Every day I'm loving the new K&G 3D more and more: yesterday and Monday I received praise from master and colleagues in the two bands where I play. I'm really happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X