Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kurun & Gilbert (K&G) Mouthpieces

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I’m now intrigued about the K&G mpc after reading some of these reviews. Like Jake, I too tend to use too much pressure when playing... especially toward the end of a two-hour concert. I don’t think the 3.5 will work for me because of its size. The Wick 4AL never worked for me (too wide of a rim), and the Demondrae mpc sounds great on my M5050 but the throat is too large for me (sucks even more air out of me). I think what might work for me is something around a 4.5 AL equivalent. I’m currently using the Warburton Brandon Jones model. It works really well for me but I’d like a bit more endurance. I wonder what size I should consider? Thanks for any suggestions.
    The K&G mouthpieces have the identical rim profile for all their products: you can go from the various sizes and instruments with the same sensation on the lips. Their table of comparison between the various brands provides smaller sizes than they actually are: if I can help, below there is a list of the measures I have done personally with the MP I have or have had. Don't take them literally, as the measure is taken on a curved surface, but it is done by my person and can offer a reliable comparison.

K&G:---------------------- DW--------------------- Schilke-------------------Bach
    2,5: 26,7 mm--------SM 3: 26,7 mm-----------51B: 25,6 mm-------6 1/2AL: 25,4 mm
    3: 26,4 mm----------SM 3X-U: 26,4 mm-------51D: 25,6 mm
    4: 26 mm------------DW 6BS: 25,5 mm--------5,1D: 25,6 mm
    Last edited by franz; 05-07-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Thanks Franz, this should be helpful. Looking at your measurements I might go with a K&G 4 (26mm). The Doug Elliott rim I used with my Yamaha 641 was an LT-102 – which equates to 25.9mm.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Hallo everyone,
    Dennis Kurun Camilleri, owner and designer of K&G mouthpieces, contacted me yesterday telling me that he made an euphonium mouthpiece upgrade. He did four 3D pieces and told me if I was interested in having one on trial. He has developed a different internal profile of the cup that has meant a massive improvement that turns out to be easier to play, more flexible, and a rounder and cleaner sound. When it arrives I will make a report.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    Hallo everyone,
    Dennis Kurun Camilleri, owner and designer of K&G mouthpieces, contacted me yesterday telling me that he made an euphonium mouthpiece upgrade. He did four 3D pieces and told me if I was interested in having one on trial. He has developed a different internal profile of the cup that has meant a massive improvement that turns out to be easier to play, more flexible, and a rounder and cleaner sound. When it arrives I will make a report.
    I'm very interested in the outcome - I have played the current 3D extensively; I would love to hear about the differences.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Same although I really see no reason to change my 3.5D - it already does everything I have wanted a mouthpiece to do for me.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Hi everyone, I've testing the new K&G 3D mouthpiece for a few days and I have to say that I'm just excited about it. On a visual level there are no significant differences compared to the old one: with a more in-depth analysis the new weighs a few grams less, slightly deeper with a slightly less cup-shaped profile, a little more V profile of the cup with the throat a couple of tenths smaller. As a result it is easier to play with it, the attack of the notes is safer, the high register is very easy to obtain: I arrive effortlessly at F, and the C#, a sore point on my Besson, is no longer a problem. Compared to the previous the sound is slightly darker: with the old I get a brighter more incisive sound. I can say that this is the best euphonium mouthpiece I've ever played with. I congratulate Dennis for the passion he puts into his work to make the life of us musicians easier and more efficient.

Ohh, that's definitely interesting. Too bad I just got mine earlier this year. SO won't be able to afford changing to the new one any time soon. Loving the current one though, so if the newer one is a huge improvement, I definitely look forward to it
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

8. Problem I have with changing a mouthpiece without changing the type number is: How can I (as a customer) see if I'm testing a "new" type? How do I know and how does the retailer know?
    Is there a way to visually see if it's a V1, V2 or even V3?
    Last edited by DutchEupho; 11-06-2019 at 12:32 AM.
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F

Quote Originally Posted by DutchEupho View Post
    Problem I have with changing a mouthpiece without changing the type number is: How can I (as a customer) see if I'm testing a "new" type? How do I know and how does the retailer know?
    Is there a way to visually see if it's a V1, V2 or even V3?
    I put the question to Dennis and he tells me that it's an upgrade and the difference is small so no need to make a sign, the characteristics are the same but more finer. So the euphonium mouthpieces that he will be manufactured from now will be with the new profile, but only the most popular sizes ( 3,5 4 and 4,5 ). For the others will have to wait until the stock runs out.
    Last edited by franz; 11-07-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Every day I'm loving the new K&G 3D more and more: yesterday and Monday I received praise from master and colleagues in the two bands where I play. I'm really happy.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast