Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Kurun & Gilbert (K&G) Mouthpieces

Hi everyone!

I've been playing the DW 4AL and DW SM4U for several years. I've read that the comparaison chart on the K&G website isn't reliable. Which size it's equivalent to the size 4 of Denis Wick?
    Last edited by JorgEuphonium; 06-17-2020 at 02:43 AM.
    Jorge Estruch: Euphonium, trombone & tuba teacher/Euphonium player

Euph: Besson Prestige 2052-2
    Mpc: ​Denis Wick 4AL

Twitter: @jorgeuphonium
    Instagram: @jorge_estruch
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/JorgEuphonium

2. That would be the 3.5D
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F

Quote Originally Posted by JorgEuphonium View Post
    Hi everyone!

I've been playing the DW 4AL and DW SM4U for several years. I've read that the comparaison chart on the K&G website isn't reliable. Which size it's equivalent to the size 4 of Denis Wick?
    I would suggest the 4D, which measures exactly 26 mm inside the cup.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    I would suggest the 4D, which measures exactly 26 mm inside the cup.
    Thanks, I talked to Robbert Vos and he suggested me the 4D
    Last edited by JorgEuphonium; 06-22-2020 at 02:55 AM.
    Jorge Estruch: Euphonium, trombone & tuba teacher/Euphonium player

Euph: Besson Prestige 2052-2
    Mpc: ​Denis Wick 4AL

Twitter: @jorgeuphonium
    Instagram: @jorge_estruch
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/JorgEuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by JorgEuphonium View Post
    Thanks, I spoke with Robbert Vos and he suggested me the 4D
    I advise you to contact Dennis Kurun Camilleri ( you can do it with Facebook messenger, he will answer you immediately) and to buy directly from him the new one with the recently developed upgrade which has small improvements in tone, response, projection and ease of issue. If you buy it in a store or on the k&g website you will probably get the old model which, in any case, is the same very performing.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

K&G mouthpieces are now available at Dillon music.https://www.facebook.com/groups/1730...82581/?app=fbl

I have an old K&G 3.5D from 2013 I am playing on right now, and just asked Dennis about the updates. He says that Dillon music will carry all of the new ones, and for the most part any K&G mouthpiece ordered in the past 2 years will be an updated one.

I plan on buying an updated one and comparing it to my old one and can update people here if interested on my findings!
    Steven Vaughn, D.M.A.
    Professor of Tuba & Euphonium, University of Northern Colorado

Principal Tuba - Fort Collins Symphony
    Euphonium - Fountain City Brass Band

Eastman 836 CC Tuba
    Meinl Weston 2182W F Tuba
    Besson 2052 Euphonium

8. Buongiorno a tutti, mi chiamo Giulio e suono uno York eminence in una banda nel nord Italia, attualmente uso un SM3 ultra con cui mi trovo abbastanza bene, avendo poco tempo a disposizione per esercitarsi ho qualche problema di resistenza e mi chiedevo se un blocchino K&G potesse essermi d'aiuto.
    Il tono che ho mi piace, non vorrei modificarlo troppo con un blocchino diverso, secondo voi con un K&g probabilmente riuscirņ a mantenere lo stesso timbro con una maggiore resistenza? Grazie molte per gli eventuali consigli, complimenti per il sito sempre molto interessante.
    A presto e buona musica.

Giulio Luzzi.

Moderator Translation (using Google translate): Hello everyone, my name isGiulio and I play a York eminence in a band in northern Italy, currently I use an SM3 ultra with which I am quite comfortable, having little time available to practice. I have some resistance problems and I was wondering if a K&G block could help me. I like the tone I have, I wouldn't want to change it too much with a different block, do you think I will be able to keep the same tone with greater resistance with a K & G? Thank you very much for any advice, congratulations for the always very interesting site. See you soon and good music. Giulio Luzzi.
    Last edited by daruby; 11-01-2020 at 07:55 PM.

Hi Giulio, I'm from northern Italy too, precisely in Varese. I have been using K&G mouthpieces for several years on the euphonium, trombone and baritone. Previously I switched from the Bach 6 1/2 AL to the Schilke 51D, then to the Wick SM3, 3 Ultra and 3X. With k&G mouthpieces I had a noticeable improvement in all aspects: tone, intonation, projection ,flexibility and resistance. As for the resistance I can play continuously for long time without getting tired ( practicing every day), moreover the tone, in my opinion, is similar but slightly better than the SM3, while the resistance is increased by 100%. If you processed with the purchase, please note that the comparison table on the site gives smaller sizes. If you currently use SM3 get 3D.

I reached out to Dennis Kurun on Facebook last month and said that Dillon has the newest revision of the K&G Euph MP in the USA, for anyone curious. Thinking about picking up a gold plated 3.5D.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast