Thread: "Softer" inner bite

1. "Softer" inner bite

I'm looking for a new euphonium mouthpiece, large shank, between 25.80 - 25.90 mm inside diameter, and a softer inner bite with a rounder rim. I'm currently playing on a Giardinelli Symphony T. The rim is OK, but I'd like something with a slightly larger inside diameter than what I have. Please post your suggestions.

A SM4 Wick is pretty close, works well for me.

The Ultra series was too sharp for me, I even split a lip once.

Dennis

If you look at this link you have a list of mouthpieces within 10% of that size (that's as close as this page lets me narrow it):

http://www.dwerden.com/Mouthpieces/t....85&Shank=Bass

I think you would find comfort with the Denis Wick 4.5AL or the Schilke 52E2.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    If you look at this link you have a list of mouthpieces within 10% of that size (that's as close as this page lets me narrow it):

http://www.dwerden.com/Mouthpieces/t....85&Shank=Bass

I think you would find comfort with the Denis Wick 4.5AL or the Schilke 52E2.
    I just received a new to me Schilke 52E2 today. I haven't played the horn with a tuner yet, but so far I am liking the comfort. Low notes are a little easier than what I was using before (Giardinelli Symphony T) and no pain when going high. Thank you for the suggestion.

Sym-T would be pretty darn shallow for euph, it's pretty small even for large-bore trombone by today's standards. I'm not surprised you're getting better results from the Schilke!
    --
    Barry

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tubaryan12 View Post
    I just received a new to me Schilke 52E2 today. I haven't played the horn with a tuner yet, but so far I am liking the comfort. Low notes are a little easier than what I was using before (Giardinelli Symphony T) and no pain when going high. Thank you for the suggestion.
    Pain when going high could point to excessive pressure which can effect range and stamina.

7. However, that doesn't seem to be the case as he said he had no pain when going high.

I love the 52E2, it's a really good mouthpiece that I've used for around a year now on both a Yamaha 321 and now a Besson Sovereign 967 with good results on both.
    My only complaint is that now I can't use thick-rimmed mouthpieces anymore since they feel bulky on my face. I'm trying to counteract that a little by occasionally using my Wick 6BL back and forth, as it has a wider and flatter rim than the 52E2 but also feels comfortable on my face.

8. [QUOTE=euphony;140948]However, that doesn't seem to be the case as he said he had no pain when going high.

No pain when going high with new mouthpiece would suggest that he has been getting pain going high previously, and the new mouthpiece has initially helped.

9. I'd expect that moving to a bigger mouthpiece would make someone anticipate more strain in the upper register, but not having that would be a nice surprise.
    That was also my 52E2 experience.

10. Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by euphony View Post
    However, that doesn't seem to be the case as he said he had no pain when going high.
    No pain when going high with new mouthpiece would suggest that he has been getting pain going high previously, and the new mouthpiece has initially helped.
    I really didn't have any pain playing the Symphony T, but I have played mouthpieces in the past with sharp enough inner bite to cause some pain for me after a long practice or performance. The mouthpiece that came with the horn (JP274) is a no name mouthpiece with a fairly flat rim and sharp inner bite. Intonation with this mouthpiece is the best horn / mouthpiece combo I've ever experienced, but the inner bite was too sharp. This is probably made worse by my mustache. If the intonation with the 52E2 is as good, then for me, the mouthpiece will be a keeper.