View Poll Results: Leave it up or take it down?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, leave it up

8 88.89%
  • No, take it down

1 11.11%
  • Not sure

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OPINIONS NEEDED - New Solo Video - You Raise Me Up

I listened to it on my phone at work, so take that into consideration.

The arrangement is really nice, and so is the cinematography! As far as the playing goes, the most 'troubling' spot is the opening with the exposed melody. There are a few notes that don't lock in perfectly until you turn on the vibrato, but once you do it's amazing. Even with the few minor blemishes, the musicianship shines through and is in a class of it's own.

Like John said, it may not be your finest hour but it is still a fine performance. I understand the importance of 'brand quality', but even if it's recorded it's still Live music. Listening to it with that in mind (not as an overly produced, 100+ take track), it's a wonderful performance.

OK, so it was a Youtube problem with over compression. Forced the quality up and it sounds great. Dave, I hear the stuff you're worried about, but I don't think it detracts from the performance at all.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

3. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Yes, it is. You can find it on this site:

http://www.justmusicuk.com/publications/details/JM46713

It's the cornet version, so you need to read it in treble clef.

FYI-All: I'm staying out of the conversation for the most part (for now) so I don't get in the way of the free flow of your opinions. The more the merrier!

Thank you. Fortunately, after starting out on TC (tenor sax, then cornet, then "baritone" TC) my band director made me learn BC. I hated it at the time, but it comes in very handy because I now read BC by preference but can revert to TC for trumpet music, etc.

We are our own worst critics. I heard what amounted to a nanosecond of insecurity -- not enough to get excited about.

Reminds me of a story. I saw the Canadian Brass in the Philharmonie in West Berlin, Germany, in about 1987 or so. Live performance, of course. Ronald Romm played the Carnival of Venice and he absolutely butchered it. Couldn't get tongue and valves synchronized for anything. I thought many things -- they had just gotten off the plane and were exhausted, or the airlines lost their luggage, or maybe he was sick.

It all reminded me that we, as musicians, are human and are subject to human frailties.

Leave it up, Dave. You're a class act and this performance is not going to change that.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Thank you all for your opinions! I will leave it up. Sometimes it's hard to get out of my own head and figure out what other listeners might think.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

This is a beautiful performance and something for amateurs like me to aspire to. Thanks for posting it and please leave it up. Literally brought tears to my eyes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12