Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another new Adams to join my Sterling

1. +1 on Dave's comment. Miel told me the top sprung valves were Dave's idea. I don't know if the short stroke was also Daves idea. The down side to top sprung valves is cost and length of the casing since you need room for the spring and guide mechanism above the valve and the same amount below. Making it a shortstroke reduces this somewhat. I think the cost difference may keep this from going into production.

I can say that the valve action is amazing...
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Something to consider adding to my lottery list.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    The top springs were my idea. In the years I've been running the forum it seems like noisy springs come up very often. Top-sprung valves would solve that. Lots of folks seem to fall into the trap of oiling the piston and then inserting it with the horn on their lap. Then the spring will not sit straight and will make noise. I think the springs are also responsible for kicking up some of the crud that accumulates in the bottom of the valve over time, causing the valves to stick.
    Good call on recommending this. From what Doug says, the valves are great. I just cleaned out my valves and slide casings the other day, and yuk!! Stuff on the bottom valve caps. And I don't think that was from too long a period of inattention, but I have admittedly started to not clean it every day like you do a new car. Well, not EVERY day. So I wonder, too, if the top-spring springs keep the crud from accumulating so much.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Lots of folks seem to fall into the trap of oiling the piston and then inserting it with the horn on their lap.
    Wait, that's a trap? How are you supposed to do it?
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Pat,

If you don't have the spring sitting perfectly parallel with the sides of the cylinder, and centered in the bottom cap, you are likely to get noise. So to reinsert the piston, I always hold the horn so the cylinders point straight up. Sometimes it is useful to wiggle the horn a bit to get the spring to seat itself in the groove in the bottom valve cap.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Pat,

If you don't have the spring sitting perfectly parallel with the sides of the cylinder, and centered in the bottom cap, you are likely to get noise. So to reinsert the piston, I always hold the horn so the cylinders point straight up. Sometimes it is useful to wiggle the horn a bit to get the spring to seat itself in the groove in the bottom valve cap.
    Pat, thanks for asking the question.
    Dave, thanks for explaining this so clearly.

Now, If I could only figure out to start a new Thread...

Cheers,
    Euph Loosh
    Imperial by Boosey & Hawkes 4-valve Euphonium (mid-1950's)
    MPs: Kosikup 1 1/2, Bowman BB2 Euro shank, Denis Wick 4AM; Marcus Bonna case

Quote Originally Posted by Euph Loosh View Post
    Now, If I could only figure out to start a new Thread...
    First, you have to be in a "Category" (the full list of stuff you see if you click the "Forum" button above). From there you should see a "Post New Thread" option. Here, for example:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/forumdi...sing-the-Forum
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Congratulations, Doug!

BTW, it was great meeting you in person at the US Army Tuba Euph Workshop. I'm the guy with the 1941 Boosey & Co. euph. You were very curious about the horn, and I'm glad we had a chance to talk about it.

Allen
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

9. Quote Originally Posted by Eupher6 View Post
    Congratulations, Doug!

BTW, it was great meeting you in person at the US Army Tuba Euph Workshop. I'm the guy with the 1941 Boosey & Co. euph. You were very curious about the horn, and I'm glad we had a chance to talk about it.

Allen
    Allen,

It was great to meet you too!. By the way, it has not been uncommon to get an Adams that is flat out of the box. Miel is REALLY good about sending shorter tuning slides. If you run into the situation again, feel free to let me know, I may be able to help you.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Allen,

It was great to meet you too!. By the way, it has not been uncommon to get an Adams that is flat out of the box. Miel is REALLY good about sending shorter tuning slides. If you run into the situation again, feel free to let me know, I may be able to help you.

Doug
    I tried the shortened tuning slide, ordering it through Baltimore Brass. It helped the E2, but not enough. The horn is still unacceptably flat (35-50 cents with the slide pushed in). The E1 was worse in this respect, but it didn't have the shortened slide.

The really bizarre thing is, I had a similar problem with the Sterling Virtuoso I'd had. I don't seem to have that problem with any of the other major brands (Besson, Yamaha, Miraphone, Willson (all 15 minutes of it).

It's frustrating, because I am awestruck by the sound I'm getting out of the E2. Really love it -- never been happier with a horn, and this after a full two-week playtest period.

But I just can't get past the overall flat/length of the horn. If only they could cut down the two tuning slide tube inserts going into the 4th valve about a quarter inch each . . .
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast