Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Another new Adams to join my Sterling

Quote Originally Posted by daniel76309 View Post
    Just to follow up on this, I emailed Adams on April 1, Aaron Hunt responded, and today (April 7) I have a new shorter tuning slide! They provided it for free, I just had to pay for shipping (airplane-ing?). It fits the horn perfectly without modification. I haven't thoroughly tested it out yet, but on a cold horn it seems to have gone from 30 cents flat to only about 10, so I could lip up to pitch on a cold horn and when warmed up, I expect now I will have pull out some, i.e. will have some adjustability in both directions.

Thanks to the forum for providing a valuable source of info, and thanks to Adams for superb customer service well after the sale!
    Good deal!! Adams is a class act. I contacted them today about the possibility of getting a replacement main tuning slide for my E3. I have a trigger, so I don't know if this is even possible without changing some of the hardware as well. We shall see...
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, Wessex EP-100 Dolce Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Wessex TE-360 Bombino Eb Tuba
    Rapid City New Horizons & Municipal Bands (Euphonium)
    Black Hills Symphony Orchestra (Bass Trombone), Powder River Symphony, Gillette, WY (Tenor Trombone)
    Black Hills Brass Quintet (Tuba)

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    The quick answer is YES! That is EXACTLY what Miel did to my horn in the shop at Austin Custom Brass here in Reading, MA right after I bought the horn. In about 1 hour without any automated tubing cutting tools, he took 1 cm (about 1/2") off of the tuning slide legs and the receiving tubing. He removed the reinforcing rings on the end of receiving tubing, cut the tubing, cleaned it up, and then resoldered the reinforcing rings. He then had to cut the tuning slide legs themselves. This brought the horn into pitch with my Wick 4AL when warmed up but with just 1-3 mm of slack. With my Doug Elliott MPC (longer shank) it is still a bit flat. I will get a new tuning slide whose curved section is shorter as well as its legs to bring the horn into best pitch for me. I like to play with around 1-2 cm of slack in the tuning slide to adjust for temperature and ensemble differences.

These mods are barely visible at all. A good technician can cut the tuning slide "legs" (depending on horn finish) and make the horn play just as you would like. Having said that, I think it is weird that there are so many reports of Adams euphoniums playing flat. Particularly given that Miel's own tuner is set to A=442 instead of A=440 (trust me I know). Maybe the person who does inhouse play testing at Adams needs to get "calibrated"!

Doug
    Sent off a couple emails to Trent Austin. It appears that when Miel returns from the Frankfurt Musikmesse on Tuesday, they will discuss my situation and see if it's tenable.

Bottom line is, I love the sound I get on the E2, and it's especially viable from a distance (which is, according to Greg Luscombe, with whom I studied trombone some years ago the most important quality -- hey, you want to play to that person in the back of the hall versus yourself), and who cares what it sounds like to your neighbor in the section!

If I can get the horn cut down, just in the area of the tuning slide legs - not everywhere else - I'm reasonably sure that we can have a horn that will work for me.

I'm somewhat encouraged to hear that others are having pitch issues with the Adams (sorry, guys!). Perhaps not as significant a deal as I'm having, but the shortened tuning slide seems to be a popular option. That shortened tuning slide is not enough to fix my situation, however.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-Fifties)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)
    Shen 3/4 upright bass (who cares?)

Anyone who is close to Boston is more than welcome to come to the shop and have us help analyze any issues on the horns. We want to make sure that anyone who owns an Adams is 100% satisfied. Miel is back in the shop in the next few days after a crazy busy Frankfurt show but we'll chat about any other things we can be prepared for in our shop to help any Adams players get the most out of their instruments!

Best regards,

Trent
    Trent Austin
    Owner
    Austin Custom Brass
    www.austincustombrass.com
    austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com

Quote Originally Posted by AustinCustomBrass View Post
    Anyone who is close to Boston is more than welcome to come to the shop and have us help analyze any issues on the horns. We want to make sure that anyone who owns an Adams is 100% satisfied. Miel is back in the shop in the next few days after a crazy busy Frankfurt show but we'll chat about any other things we can be prepared for in our shop to help any Adams players get the most out of their instruments!

Best regards,

Trent
    That is a great gesture on your part, Trent! Thanks! Wish I was closer, but I am also a die-hard, since birth, New York Yankees fan and cannot go to Boston under any circumstances, ha-ha.

I did contact Miel about my Adams E3 with trigger, and the possibility of getting a replacement main tuning slide. As I suspected, he said this would be difficult without having the horn. They have to specifically make the slide for the horns with triggers to match exactly the horn, so there is apparently no way to just send a replacement slide. Miel offered to send the parts and materials necessary to do this for free, but I would have to find a technician to put everything together. Seems a bit more involved than I care to get, so I will make do with what I have. Unless I happen to travel to Holland with my Adams, then maybe I would go to Adams directly...

I did contemplate just unhooking the trigger, then seeing if one of the slides that Doug has would fit in my E3 without any sort of modification. I would think the main slide tubes that accept the main tuning slide are the exact same amongst E3's with and without triggers. I don't use the trigger very much. Just thinking.....
    Last edited by John Morgan; 04-10-2017 at 02:44 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, Wessex EP-100 Dolce Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Wessex TE-360 Bombino Eb Tuba
    Rapid City New Horizons & Municipal Bands (Euphonium)
    Black Hills Symphony Orchestra (Bass Trombone), Powder River Symphony, Gillette, WY (Tenor Trombone)
    Black Hills Brass Quintet (Tuba)

Hopefully Mr. Adams and/or his best craftsmen and craftswomen get back to their HQ before too long, as the latest on my instrument is that it has been sent back to NL to put everything right with it. The loaner instrument I have from my dealer while mine is getting fixed has some little final fit and finish issues as well. It seems like all the parts are really well made, but they just aren't put together with as much care as one would like. My local repair guy tells me he's seen a bunch of the trumpets and flugelhorns and that they are often "rustic" in appearance. I would suggest to Adams that they might want to invest in a process similar to what some of their competitors have done in which they pay one of their performing artists to come to their workshop periodically and sign-off on all the completed instruments after a very picky inspection. Hopefully they can get past these growing pains, as the instruments are really fantastic when they're put together right.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by AustinCustomBrass View Post

Best regards,

Trent
    Let me echo John and say that the email discussions I've had with both Trent and his assistant Josh have been positive and, I hope ultimately, successful. I think I've got the configuration I want, and Josh has presented a quote, which is a good one. Need to know how much more the silver plating will cost for a horn that has only the bell silver-plated.

Miel has said that cutting the horn down for me also will not be a problem, and as that is my biggest concern, I find that also very satisfactory.

Bottom line - hope to have that E2 in my hands soon.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-Fifties)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)
    Shen 3/4 upright bass (who cares?)

Doug!

Congrats on the horn. I actually had that one on trial and ended up not buying it because of the low pitch.

I'm glad it's in good hands!

Mike
    Last edited by daruby; 04-22-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345