Thread: Burt Bacharach used a Euphonium...

1. Burt Bacharach used a Euphonium...

I just watched a PBS special on Burt Bacharach. At the end of the special during the closing statements they played an old video of "There's Always Something There To Remind Me". There is a euphonium playing the melody several times during the video! I'll see if I can find it on YouTube...
    1979 Yamaha 321S Euphonium
    1965 Conn 7G/6H Valve Trombone
    2014 Wessex BR140 Baritone

Euph is also featured on the original Jackie DeShannon recording of "What the World Needs Now," played by Don Waldrop.
    Wonder if Bacharach did the arrangements himself or farmed them out to one of his staff or a full-time orchestrator?

Euph is also featured on the original Jackie DeShannon recording of "What the World Needs Now," played by Don Waldrop.<br>
    Wonder if Bacharach did the arrangements himself or farmed them out to one of his staff or a full-time orchestrator?

<br><br>AUDIO OF "ALWAYS SOMETHING" HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_phDG6GcDA

SANDIE SHAW VOCAL HERE, ALSO WITH EUPH (or bucket muted trombone??) OPENING: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfbkwc2krL4

Also note that the chord behind the word "always" is a bit different in the Sandie Shaw version, I think.

These must certainly have been a pre-Dionne Warwick(e) version. An odd bit it is, with the "Nashville Cliché" strings and the euphonium weaving in and out.

ALSO: Both Dusty Springfield and Sandie Shaw were British. Wonder if the backing tracks were produced in England or here?

FINALLY: These early/mid-60s recordings also convinced me that recording the euphonium has advanced MIGHTILY since then. ;-)
    Last edited by Snorlax; 03-20-2017 at 12:00 PM.