Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unbranded JP374 with trigger direct from China

1. unbranded JP374 with trigger direct from China

Hi all-this is a current listing from vendor out of China. It appears, on close inspection, to be the JP374. The tag attached to the valves even has the JP website printed on it. However, there are no actual JP markings stamped on these horns. Are these possibly JP "rejects" which failed to make the final cut? Or is the factory simply cranking out extra non-branded versions with less finishing/refinement to sell at a reduced price? I know a purchase directly from China comes with veritable "minefield" of risks: damaged or lost during shipment, no warranty to speak of (although the seller offers a 30-day return), dubious pre-shipping inspection, ect. The seller is "taishan20085188" in case the link fails to work- I'm a hopeless novice when it comes to computers. They also have a 99.3% positive rating. Any thoughts/opinions on a direct buy purchase like this? JP374's with triggers go for close to $4000 here in states.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional...-/252398340838
    Last edited by davewerden; 03-14-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Remove extra white space

2. I forgot to mention...postage is free on all his instruments. However, if you decide to return the horn, you are responsible for return shipping costs. I also read somewhere on this forum that import fees are negligible- somewhere around 5-6% of accessed value.

3. When I enlarge the picture of the bell on my iPad, it does appear to have some type of engraving but it is too blurry to tell what it says. Does it also appear to anyone else that the bell might be a different material than the rest of the horn?
    Last edited by FedXav8r; 03-13-2017 at 09:01 PM.
    1979 Yamaha 321S Euphonium
    1965 Conn 7G/6H Valve Trombone
    2014 Wessex BR140 Baritone

4. The leadpipe looks like the "trademark Sterling" leadpipe on the JP374...

5. I too noticed an ever so faint JP stamping on the bell and also the lead pipe.

6. If you look at the second picture on the eBay site, just below the 4th valve there appears to be grease pencil marks showing areas that might be the reasons for a JP "reject". Therefore, this seller is basically selling a "scratch and dent" model. If that is truly the case and the JP reject is simply for what appears to be cosmetic issues then this could be a "steal" of a deal on a good euphonium!

7. I think you are on to something FedX. If you examine the second photo closely, you will notice that there is about a 1.5 inch long solder gap in the reinforcement plate that falls right in between those two larger grease pencil lines. I'm guessing there was a similar solder issue with the bracing where the other two grease pencil lines are. These horns obviously didn't pass muster for JP.

8. You can also see in another picture where they noticed the grease lines were especially prominent and tried to Photoshop them out...

9. Quote Originally Posted by Phillips66 View Post
    I think you are on to something FedX. If you examine the second photo closely, you will notice that there is about a 1.5 inch long solder gap in the reinforcement plate that falls right in between those two larger grease pencil lines. I'm guessing there was a similar solder issue with the bracing where the other two grease pencil lines are. These horns obviously didn't pass muster for JP.
    Indeed. That solder gap is also visible several inches above the 4th valve. Compared to the cost of a "new" one and with the "make an offer" option, as I said earlier, this could be a really good deal for someone looking to buy the JP Sterling.

10. The one in the picture is apparently 1 of "more than 10" that are available according to the seller's eBay post. Therefore, if someone buys one the particular "issue" would be unknown. If the seller would accept a 1K offer I think it would be a fantastic deal on a "scratch and dent" JP Sterling! If the seller insists on the list price I would think a new Wessex Dolce might be a better/safer choice... just my humble opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast