Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adrian_quince
    • Mar 2015

I'm also super excited about the Festivo after this review. If the comments about slotting and intonation are true, I can't wait to get my hands on one!
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

I have seen a few of these videos and I have not noticed a tuner in any of them. If he is judging new-to-him horns by ear, that can be very deceiving. Timbre and other factors can change perception. Then there is the learned adjustments that we make with any horn. Even with a trigger, you have to lip notes up and you get used to doing so. That habit carries to your testing to some extent and can warp your perception of the results.

In any case, as someone stated elsewhere, there are very short exposures turned into more elaborate videos. I think they are valuable as long as you understand the likely limitations.
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• MAQ
        • Jul 2010

Wessex Dolce vs Adams E1 4th valve distance

Well, my Adams E1 got its first dent on Friday (all my fault ), so I'm now considering getting a Wessex Dolce to use in close-quarter rehearsals and outdoor concerts. My problem has always been the reach to the 4th valve, and I play-tested a number of euphs before finding the E1. My Adams is of recent vintage (late 2015) such that the valve set was modified to make the reach easier. My question for those who own the Dolce and a recently made Adams E1, is the reach to the 4th valve on the Dolce more difficult than on the E1? I don't have a way to play-test the Dolce nearby.
        Adams E1 0.6 SS gold satin lacquer
        Wessex EP100-S Dolce euphonium
        Yamaha YBH-621 baritone
        Yamaha YSL-354V valve trombone
        Olds Recording valve trombone
        Conn 1957 valve trombone (once owned by Bob Brookmeyer)
        Willson 2975 euphonium

"Walk to the beat of your own tuba." Dove chocolate wrapper

Comment

• Jonathantuba
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by MAQ View Post
          Well, my Adams E1 got its first dent on Friday (all my fault ), so I'm now considering getting a Wessex Dolce to use in close-quarter rehearsals and outdoor concerts. My problem has always been the reach to the 4th valve, and I play-tested a number of euphs before finding the E1. My Adams is of recent vintage (late 2015) such that the valve set was modified to make the reach easier. My question for those who own the Dolce and a recently made Adams E1, is the reach to the 4th valve on the Dolce more difficult than on the E1? I don't have a way to play-test the Dolce nearby.
          If you are worried about reach to the 4th valve, then the new EP104 Festivo front action euphonium may be the answer. I just this last week checked and approved the first batch (which all played superb), so they will be available within 2 months.
          www.Wessex-Tubas.com
          Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
          Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Comment

• MAQ
            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Jonathantuba View Post
            If you are worried about reach to the 4th valve, then the new EP104 Festivo front action euphonium may be the answer. I just this last week checked and approved the first batch (which all played superb), so they will be available within 2 months.
            Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I have a Willson 2975, which has front-action valves, that I never play anymore. I have come to really love the 3+1 configuration, and I don't think I can go back.
            Yamaha YBH-621 baritone
            Willson 2975 euphonium

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

Jonathan,
              Can you compare the 4th-valve's reach on the Dolce to the Adams?
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)
              Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
              YouTube: dwerden
              Facebook: davewerden
              Twitter: davewerden
              Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• MAQ
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Jonathantuba View Post
                Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I have a Willson 2975, which has front-action valves, that I never play anymore. I have come to really love the 3+1 configuration, and I don't think I can go back.
                Yamaha YBH-621 baritone
                Willson 2975 euphonium

Comment

• John Morgan
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
                  Jonathan,
                  Can you compare the 4th-valve's reach on the Dolce to the Adams?
                  Well, I am not Jonathan, but I can compare the reach on my Dolce to my Adams E3. It seems to be pretty similar. I am six feet tall with basically gorilla arms, my wingspan is a bit more than my height. I also have long fingers and a good sized hand. But even imagining a smaller hand size, the reach to the 4th valve seems very easy to me. Now the E3 is a bit different from the E1, so I don't know if the comparison is good. But on my E3, the third valve slide seems more tucked in than some other 3+1 euphoniums. And the Dolce is about the same.

MAQ - I feel your pain. I have made several posts on this site regarding the use of my Adams and the Wessex Dolce. I bought the Wessex as a horn to hold me over for 6 months while my Adams was being built. I liked it so much (the Dolce) that I decided to keep it. If I play in close quarters, bad weather, etc., the Wessex will be my horn of choice on those days. I don't want to harm the Wessex, but my pain level will be considerably less if I hurt it instead of the Adams. And it probably won't be me hurting either one of them as it seems those around me are far less careful than I am.
                  John Morgan
                  The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
                  Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
                  1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
                  Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
                  Year Round Except Summer:
                  Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
                  KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
                  Summer Only:
                  Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
                  Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

Working...
                  X