Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for an instrument

1. Hi Sara,

Here is another alternative that has gotten good reviews. It is a German music store brand but they ship to the States and have good customer service reviews. The silver plated model is not much more than 1K and they have a "scratched lacquered" model that is a little cheaper. I like the looks of it better than the silver plate! I believe there is a link to a video review of this horn somewhere on this forum.

Best of luck in your search!
    John U.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/thomann_..._euphonium.htm

And here's the link to that review:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Xwaqq4KVo
    Last edited by FedXav8r; 03-11-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    1979 Yamaha 321S Euphonium
    1965 Conn 7G/6H Valve Trombone
    2014 Wessex BR140 Baritone

Okay folks, here is some follow up for you. I have been offered a nearly new Eastman Baritone (model EBH311S) for $800 (complete with case and mouthpiece). It is a few years old, but no one has been playing it. So it has had a previous owner, but it is next to new.

I played it briefly today. I was surprised that the first few notes I played came out a bit louder than I expected. It was easy to blow/play. The valves and slides all moved easily. It has been loaned to me for the week to test drive.

I would like to get opinions from you all on the horn itself, and suggestions as to what I should do to test drive it.
    Sara

Check out this article:

http://www.dwerden.com/eu-articles-choosing.cfm

It is geared for a slightly different situation, but I think you'll find some of the topics applicable.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Hi Sara. A lot of similarities here. I was away from playing a baritone for 40 years, high-school(a Besson) to retirement(a Yamaha 321). I also play in a church group and community band. I sit next to two euphonium players, and our parts are always the same. I don't think we have ever had different parts for baritone vs euphonium, but that is just my experience. Since you have played a Yamaha 321, as have I, I would recommend that horn for you. I have played my 321 for several years and am now moving up to a Yamaha 642. If you decide you have interest in a 321, let me know as mine is now for sale. It is in beautiful condition and is a great horn. Whatever you decide, welcome back to the low brass section. It's a great group of people!

Let's see it (grin).

Quote Originally Posted by ketch33 View Post
    Hi Sara. A lot of similarities here. I was away from playing a baritone for 40 years, high-school(a Besson) to retirement(a Yamaha 321). I also play in a church group and community band. I sit next to two euphonium players, and our parts are always the same. I don't think we have ever had different parts for baritone vs euphonium, but that is just my experience. Since you have played a Yamaha 321, as have I, I would recommend that horn for you. I have played my 321 for several years and am now moving up to a Yamaha 642. If you decide you have interest in a 321, let me know as mine is now for sale. It is in beautiful condition and is a great horn. Whatever you decide, welcome back to the low brass section. It's a great group of people!
    Send me / post in the forum, pictures of your Yamaha. You never know....
    Sara

6. I HIGHLY recommend the Yamaha 321S as I've played mine since 1979! It has served me well in multiple scenarios.
    If you purchase one, let me know as I've tried dozens of different mouthpieces on the 321 and would be happy to share with you my favorites.
    Best of luck!
    John U.
    1979 Yamaha 321S Euphonium
    1965 Conn 7G/6H Valve Trombone
    2014 Wessex BR140 Baritone

I had a little talk with the Bandmaster and he clearly prefers me to stick to the Baritone. So that lets all those pretty euphoniums out. Still open for suggestions for brands though.

I may go factory direct to stay under budget ($1000). I was also surprised at the newer color finishes I am seeing. I thought silver and gold (brass) were the only choices. I thought for sure I saw a picture of a red (not red-brass) and gold euphonium somewhere online. Wow! That horn was a looker. But now I can't find it, so I may have been imagining the combo.

Thanks again people (smile). It has been a blast to hear so much from fellow low-brass enthusiasts!
    - Sara

Look at the Wessex BR140. A great sounding horn and under $1000. There are several used true British Baritones out their, but few with your time within your budget.

9. Living in Michigan, I've had the opportunity to visit the Wessex showroom many times. Of the tubas, euphoniums and baritones I've tried, the BR140 has been my favorite. I liked the sound of the lacquer with gold brass bell best. To my ears it had a slight French Horn tone which I liked. They had a slightly damaged one at a reduced price, but I chose to order one that will come in May. I think it will be worth the wait.

Wessex BR140 -- highly recommended.

KKORO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12