Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Old" Wick 4AL vs. "New" Wick 4AL

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    So now we have the quarter in the cup test for depth, has anyone devised a test for comparing inner rim sharpness ?
    The quarter test on euphonium mouthpieces is really a test of cup width, not depth so much. With our common sizes, the quarter hits the side long before it would hit the bottom.

As far as inner rim sharpness, there are a lot of factors that affect how the rim feels, and the apparent sharpness of a particular rim may be caused by other things. Check out this page:

http://www.grmouthpieces.com/rim.html

In his lexicon you are talking about the "bite" of the mouthpiece.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Here is a full view of a mouthpiece with some terms defined:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sketch-mouthpiece-gr.jpg  
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

3. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    The quarter test on euphonium mouthpieces is really a test of cup width, not depth so much. With our common sizes, the quarter hits the side long before it would hit the bottom.

As far as inner rim sharpness, there are a lot of factors that affect how the rim feels, and the apparent sharpness of a particular rim may be caused by other things. Check out this page:

http://www.grmouthpieces.com/rim.html

In his lexicon you are talking about the "bite" of the mouthpiece.
    Thanks for the link

4. Hi Doug,

Have you tried weighing them? I seem to recall that the older 4AL's have more weight.
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F

5. Quote Originally Posted by DutchEupho View Post
    Hi Doug,

Have you tried weighing them? I seem to recall that the older 4AL's have more weight.
    I have not, but I can guarantee the old one is lighter due to its thinner rim. All other dimensions appearing to be the same.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

This is most curious as I’d always preferred the old 4ALs - I find the new ones too bright sounding. I have about 5 of them, and when picking my Globe Sovereign specified the oldest 4AL the seller had. I don’t use it all the time, but wanted it for marching because my everyday mouthpiece is irreplaceable, and I couldn’t face the thought of damaging it through clumsiness.

7. Hi Doug,

I've compared a "old" 4AL with a "new" 4AL to and noticed that the old one goes in to my receiver a lot further. It's a difference of approx 3mm. This gives a totally different feel if I don't adjust the AGR settings on my E3.
    The "old" 4AL gives a far more open sound then the newer one.
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F

Aren't the current production all CNC lathe made? They should be extremely consistent now, while back in the "old days" when the template, scoop, or drill bit got worn, the specs would change a bit.

Still, looking back at the beginning of the thread, that's a pretty big difference. I wonder if they rearranged the sizing somehow.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

9. Maybe back in the days, they did'nt take into account that the cutting tools wore out?
    Today its All done by computer, so everything is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by steff2032 View Post
    Maybe back in the days, they did'nt take into account that the cutting tools wore out?
    Today its All done by computer, so everything is the same.
    That's an interesting thought. But I wonder about the mechanical parts. The computer tells the machinery what do, but something mechanical has to do the carving (until we start using lasers, I suppose). Can the computer adjust as the cutting tools start to wear, as they surely must. I confess I am not very familiar with the in's and out's of the process, so maybe they have somehow been able to allow for all mechanical factors.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast