Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: buying a new euph

I didn't investigate valve guides or anything, but the 274 seems to have the same style of guides as the besson. I'll have to compare them closer in two weeks when I see my students again that play on school bessons (spring break is next week)

For me the tone and intonation was the key to the 274 being picked. It had a wonderful rich solo tone, and the high f was in tune for me open, which was surprising considering it was based on a besson

Today I did a head to head with a besson with an 11" bell, and my student that played both of them commented on how much more open my horn was than the besson, which surprised me because I thought it was a little on the stuffy side, but my regular horn is a king, which is about as free blowing as you'll ever find

The 374 is not a bad horn at all, but I didn't see anything about it that justified the extra money

If you are interested in the 274, I might know a dealer at has a convention demo horn he will sell for a screaming low price (which is how I got mine)

3. Thanks 58mark. I've read similar comments in other places regarding the JP274. How could I get in touch with you? I live in Seguin, Texas just east of San Antonio.

my name is Mark Finley, if you want to look me up on Facebook. Or send me a private message and I'll send you my cell number. I live up and Dallas but travel down that way occasionally.

5. Hi Mark-Thanks and I'll look you up. The Demo you mentioned sounds intriguing. My name is Travis BTW.

I am in the market for a low price (not cheap) euphonium. Have seen several posts regarding Wessex Dolcetto and the Mack horn. From what I understand they are within about $400 of each other. Any comparisons or opinions to date? Sub $1k is ideal for the wife but I'd like to hear from you folks who have tried both and would like feedback. 4 valve compensating for sure. I currently have a Schmidt 4-valve rental (NC) which I would not purchase (due to intonation issues). Any advice is appreciated!
    Charlie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12