• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anson
    • Dec 2012

Mantonizz reviews the Yamaha 642 Neo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsaLaJW9aLU

Weird - my 642 doesn't sound like that...
    My horn: Yamaha 642II Neo. My mouthpieces: Yamaha 51D, Yamaha 53SH, Denis Wick SM4X Ultra, Doug Elliot 104 J8
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

He plays with a very different approach than I use, and possible than you use. He has a lot of physical power and seems comfortable using it for playing. That could easily affect how a horn works for him. I don't agree completely with his Adams reviews, either, even though they were very positive.

In some cases folks are forced to order a horn without trying it, but testing for yourself is still the best way whenever it is possible!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Anson
      • Dec 2012

I live in Hawaii and shipping a horn out for me to test was out of the question.
      WWBW had a scratch and dent Yamaha Neo that had the right price tag, and so that's what I have now.

It's nice that he had a positive review on my horn - basically telling me that any problem I might be having is probably my own fault...

...or maybe my mouthpiece's fault?!

All kidding aside, I wish I had a mentor who could tell me very specifically "You're using too much pressure on the mouthpiece" or "Your embouchure is shifting because you're not centered" or other awesome wisdom I could only get from playing with someone on a regular basis. At least I know the reason I can't center notes in the high range is from my lack of strength or breath support, and not my horn.
      My horn: Yamaha 642II Neo. My mouthpieces: Yamaha 51D, Yamaha 53SH, Denis Wick SM4X Ultra, Doug Elliot 104 J8

Comment

• adrian_quince
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Anson View Post
        All kidding aside, I wish I had a mentor who could tell me very specifically "You're using too much pressure on the mouthpiece" or "Your embouchure is shifting because you're not centered" or other awesome wisdom I could only get from playing with someone on a regular basis. At least I know the reason I can't center notes in the high range is from my lack of strength or breath support, and not my horn.
        If there aren't any euphonium teachers where you are, odds are there is at least a trombone teacher you could work with. Often, trombonists will have some experience on euphonium as a double.

Also, regarding Matonis' approach to euphonium, there's something very trumpet-like in the way he's moving the air. It's a tight, focused air stream that gives him excellent clarity and facility in the upper range. It works well for him, but is definitely not typical for a euphonium player.
        Adrian L. Quince
        Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
        www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Comment

• graeme
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Anson View Post
          I live in Hawaii and shipping a horn out for me to test was out of the question.
          WWBW had a scratch and dent Yamaha Neo that had the right price tag, and so that's what I have now.

It's nice that he had a positive review on my horn - basically telling me that any problem I might be having is probably my own fault...

...or maybe my mouthpiece's fault?!

You couldconsider Lessons through Skype or Facetime there are many teachers offeringthis.

Comment

• JTJ
            • Nov 2005

These are interesting videos. As Dave notes, he's quite the power player. He has a more interesting style, for me, than the traditional players. I like what many of the continental European players are doing, moving the sound away from the
            big-ball-of-sound British Brass band style or the sometimes overly trombone like sound of some American players.

What he's doing is evaluating a horn on the quick and then wrapping that evaluation in some nicely produced videos. But they are still snap judgement opinions and need to be weighed as such. In fairness he does give a lot of disclaimers about his opinions.

I think Doug Elliott does/did Skype based lessons for possible help with high range centering.

John

Comment

Working...
            X