Thread: Review of Wick SM6B Ultra small shank baritone mouthpiece

1. Review of Wick SM6B Ultra small shank baritone mouthpiece

There has been discussion in other threads about the Wick Ultra Series. I purchased an SM6B Ultra Baritone mouthpiece for my Wessex BR115 "American" "bell front" horn. I really like it. Here are my impressions:

To review, the Wessex BR115 looks very, very similar to the traditional King instruments, down to the design of the bugle ferrules and valve caps. It is a 4-valve, and has a slightly larger bore: .571 instead of the older .562. This helps round out the tone a little, without getting so large that it goes dark. Last fall, I was trying the King System Blue baritone mouthpiece with its true funnel cup, but it turned out to be a little dark for blending with woodwinds on the BR115, although it played well on the King. But the traditional Bach 6 1/2 AL was a little grainy down low. So after a search, through Matt Walters @ Dillon Music, I purchased a Wick SM6B Ultra baritone mouthpiece.

The Wick SM6B Ultra baritone mouthpiece, in my estimation, is essentially similar to a Bach 6 1/2 AL, but with a deeper cup and a throat size between the G of the 6 1/2 AL and the 17/64 of other mouthpieces. It also has a similar slightly curved bottom of the cup like the 6 1/2 AL as it transitions to the throat. But, it is not a trombone mouthpiece by any means. I know many folks think this makes it too dark for British style baritones. It may. But for my BR115, it helps round everything out and gets rid of the graininess in the low register these style horns can have.

It is a very efficient and consistent mouthpiece through all registers. I found out at the last community band rehearsal that I was overblowing, both dynamics and overshooting pitch, compared to either my old 6 1/2 AL or the King System Blue baritone mouthpiece. So I am able to relax into the horn better. The intonation on the Ultra is straightforward. It doesn't cause any difficulties or exacerbate any intonation tendencies in the horn. Very neutral in this regard. No issues with breath support. It just plays.

Overall, a great mouthpiece. I can see if a British baritone player's tonal concept is brighter, leaning towards trombone, this may not be the mouthpiece for them. But for me, needing to fill that niche in a community mixed winds band having to blend with both brass and woodwinds, with the occasional section or solo excerpt, the BR115 with the SM6B Ultra is a great combination.

I wouldn't extrapolate these impressions to the other Ultra or SM baritone mouthpiece models, with not only their different cup diameters, but different throat and backbore characteristics as well. But this combination, the BR115 / SM6B Ultra, works for me.

Thanks for the use of the bandwidth and the time of those who read this review.
    Last edited by iiipopes; 02-23-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks for sharing your detailed perspective! We like to learn more "stuff" related to our instrument(s).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium