Thread: Deciding what to purchase

Deciding what to purchase

I'm looking into purchasing a new horn to play on, since the one I have isn't really keeping up anymore. After some looking around I found the John Packer Sterling JP374 and from what I can tell, it seems great, however, lots of people have been recommending the Wessex Dolce, especially to people who seem to be in similar situations as myself. Another one that seemed alright was the Tuba Exchange TE-2052SG Bb Euphonium, but I can't seem to get as much information on that one, so I'm a little hesitant. And I will admit, the John Packer is probably the highest in my price range, and even where it's at it's a little questionable. Any advice or recommendations?
    Last edited by BrysonH; 02-22-2017 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Fixing Misspelled title..
    Bryson Hill
    Currently Playing on:
    Jupiter JEP570(Lacquer) Euphonium with Hammond Design 12L or Schilke 51D (Both Large Shank);
    Yamaha YSL-446G Trombone with Schilke 51D (Small Shank);
    School's old beat-up Tuba (Gross);
    Various Percussion (Cool story, bro...)

LOTS of input here on the cast of characters that you're considering, but how is it that your Jupiter is failing you? I'm all for getting a new euph just because, but knowing the gaps that you're currently facing might inform your horn purchase decision.
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

3. If you have any way to try the horns that would be beneficial, but if not I'd go for the Packer if you like the British sound and Wessex or a Jinbao clone if you want the more focused sound that comes with Yamahas and American horns. That's the impressions I've gotten from playing the Packers and various Jinbaos.

I originally got the Jupiter used off of some classifieds while I was still in junior high (my parents got it for me, cause they're nice), and I'm not sure how great the owner before me was with horn care, and I probably didn't take as good care of it then as I probably should have, but some of the valves are sluggish, even after cleaning and oiling, it just feels like something is potentially corroded or something in the valve casings (possibly the springs need replacing, but I'm always worried to buy those online because I don't know what size to get), as well as some corrosion on the outside of the instrument, and there are dings and scratches (nearly, if not all, from before I became the owner), and the tuning slides don't move very well even after cleaning and greasing as well as them having a fairly noticeable corrosion. It's also non-compensating, which I'm looking to get to help me improve my range on all sides. The main comparison I'm looking for is the Wessex Dolce and the John Packer Sterling JP374 to find out if there's enough difference in them to validate the price.

I recently played both the Packer 274 and 374 and liked the 274 better, and it's half the price. I also liked it more than the wessex and the mack brass. It made just an impression on me that I bought it on the spot

I know of a like new demo model of the 274 that can be had for around $1250. Amazing bargain