Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy soon Adams vs. Besson Prestige vs. Sterling Virtuoso Delux (OPINIONS!)

Exclamation Looking to buy soon Adams vs. Besson Prestige vs. Sterling Virtuoso Delux (OPINIONS!)

I'm looking to buy very soon. I am a bit overwhelmed at this point trying to decide on a horn. The only one I am currently able to play-test is the Sterling Virtuoso Deluxe. I've heard great things in regard to Adams and Besson Prestiges. I currently play on a Yamaha 842S with an SMX4U piece. Thanks for the help everyone!
    Ben Dawley
    Music Director
    Solo Euphonium, Five Lakes Metro Brass Band

Besson Prestige 2052 (Gold)
    Shires Q41S (Medium Shank)

Welcome to the forum!

All 3 horns you mention are highly regarded, but they are also quite different. Perhaps the 2 closest to each other are the Adams and Virtuoso in my experience. I played a Virtuoso before switching to Adams and I found the tone quality to be very similar. Here is my comparison and explanation of why I switched:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...stom-Euphonium

The Besson is similar to the 2 above, although I think the tone of Adams and Sterling are closer to what I want (based on the traditional British euphonium concept). Until 1990 I played Bessons; then I switched to Sterling; then in 2012 I switched to Adams. Today's Besson is better in many ways than the ones I played, but I think it has given up a little in tone. However, it has improved in evenness of response and build quality in general.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Welcome, Ben!!

My recommendation would be an Adams. I owned a couple Besson Prestige Euphoniums (2052) and a Yamaha 842S among others. One of the Bessons was a "dog". The other was a typically good horn. Intonation was not great on that horn, and I never warmed up to the trigger guard (that plastic thing). The sound was nice. The Yamaha was a nice horn with a little brighter sound. Both horns suffered terribly with the high B natural (concert pitch). It was virtually unplayable on the Besson and almost lost me an audition because of that note. I don't have much negative to say about the Yamaha (except the high B natural again), but the sound did not totally "move me". I could probably have lived with either one of these horns (settled for them, that is). But I heard about the Adams, and on a leap of faith, mostly in David Werden and Matt van Emmerik, I opted to change from my then Miraphone M5050 (a great horn) to a custom Adams E3. I have absolutely no regrets in that choice. This is the best horn I have ever owned, and I have had a closet full of them over the years (50+).

If you get a chance to attend a conference or trade show, and Adams is there, GO!! Austin Custom Brass in MA typically has several Adams samples to try. If you are able to get to some Adams to try, I highly recommend that. Each model of Adams (E1, E2, E3) is a little different, and the several metal gauges and materials (gold brass, sterling silver, etc.) make a difference in the overall sound and playing characteristics. I again took a leap of faith and ordered an E3, sterling silver bell, trigger, engraved bell (really beautiful) and a few other things without ever playing or seeing one in person!! Was everything and more than I expected. This is my keeper horn for sure. Going to the grave with me.

The sound (pure and beautiful), the intonation, the response, the valves, the build quality, the beautiful look are all what have moved me with this horn. It is a glorious horn.

Good luck in your pursuit.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 03-29-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks for the reply

I have had the Yamaha for 12 years now, and ever since I heard about Adams I been wanting to give them a try. The Yamaha has too bright of sound for what I'm looking for at this point. I live in the Detroit area, so play testing a Sterling Virtuoso is easy since Custom Music is right down the road from me. I will be doing so on Friday. As far as Adams goes, what's the diff between e1, e2, and e3? Also, what material is the closet to the Sterling Silver bell (if there is)? I know the Sterling has a heavy red brass bell. I getting leery of the Prestige the more is read about it. I'm looking to start up lessons this summer with Kenneth Kroesche of Oakland University. Thanks again for the help!
    Ben Dawley
    Music Director

Thanks for the reply Mr. Werden! I'm honored to receive your advice! The main thing that's holding me back from an Adams at this point is the cost of the silver bell. If there was a good secondary option, I would go with the Adams in that bell material. What variant would you recommend (e1, e2, e3)? It's kind of overwhelming with all of the options!
    Ben Dawley
    Music Director

6. Maybe someone with experience of these 3 models could advise if the projection from the Adams when playing in a British Brass Band would be equal to the Sterling or Besson which are more commonly used in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by bdawley81 View Post
    I have had the Yamaha for 12 years now, and ever since I heard about Adams I been wanting to give them a try. The Yamaha has too bright of sound for what I'm looking for at this point. I live in the Detroit area, so play testing a Sterling Virtuoso is easy since Custom Music is right down the road from me. I will be doing so on Friday. As far as Adams goes, what's the diff between e1, e2, and e3? Also, what material is the closet to the Sterling Silver bell (if there is)? I know the Sterling has a heavy red brass bell. I getting leery of the Prestige the more is read about it. I'm looking to start up lessons this summer with Kenneth Kroesche of Oakland University. Thanks again for the help!
    Have to asked Ken this question? I too am in the Detroit area and have known Ken for years. He currently plays a Prestige so can lend his expertise on that horn.

8. Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Maybe someone with experience of these 3 models could advise if the projection from the Adams when playing in a British Brass Band would be equal to the Sterling or Besson which are more commonly used in the UK
    To all,

I know that I am one of the folks on this forum who currently (or recently) has owned all three instruments. My current #1 horn is my 2009 Sterling Virtuoso. It is my "daily player" and has been a fantastic instrument for me for almost 8 years. I purchased this horn in the summer of 2009 after auditioning it at the Sterling shop in Beeston, UK. Paul Riggett (owner) set up the audition between two horns in raw brass and had Trevor Groom, euphonium legend, in as the designated "listener". Both Trevor and I settled on the horn I purchased. This horn is nearly identical to Trevor's own Sterling.

I have a heavy red brass 300mm Virtuoso, with Bauerfeind valves (same as current Adams), and a couple of custom mods. This horn is perfect for my playing style and is also perfect for performing in a brass band. This horn has been played regularly since I got it, made a number of trips to the UK and across country for different performances in wind bands as well as brass bands. It has held up well and is in near new condition. Paul Riggett has been very responsive to me when parts or repairs have been needed (it helps that I go to the UK every summer!).

There is no question for me that I prefer the Virtuoso to either my 1980 Besson Sovereign 967, my 2007 Besson Prestige 2051, or my 2001 Besson Sovereign 967. The three Bessons were all fine horns and also good for brass band, but pitch and projection of sound were not as strong as the Sterling. The response and tone of the Sterling is just perfect for me and it is a well constructed instrument. However, the Sterling is a very heavy horn and requires use of the left hand trigger for pitch in the 6th partial and a couple of other notes. I have reduced the spring tension on the trigger so it now is as easy as current Sterling production or as Besson's. However, as I have gotten older, I have been dealing with tendinitis in left arm and in thumbs and fingers of both hands which made using either the Sterling or the Besson Prestige problematic at times.

As a result of these infirmities, I have been keeping a 2nd professional quality, lighter weight, triggerless horn in my stable. At first, I sold my Prestige for an older 2001 Sovereign 967 that I modified to Prestige spec (minus trigger). Just recently, however, the Sovereign left my possession and I purchased a brand-new Adams E3 with prototype top-sprung valves, 0.70 yellow brass 305mm bell, and no trigger. I did get personal service from Miel Adams when I purchased this new horn and that was an aspect of my decision.

I am still getting used to the Adams so I cannot give you as much feedback as some might like on its performance and sound compared with the other two. I can say that it is definitely much lighter than the Sterling and has better innate pitch. The prototype valves are lightning...! I have only found one "bad" note which is 2nd valve A2 (110Hz) which is quite (over 20 cents) flat. With a 1 cm pull on 3rd and 4th valve slides, the relative pitch is VERY good elsewhere. The 6th partial Eb4 and E4 are spot on and F4 is just about 10-15 cents sharp (which is lippable). F4 is spot on using a 1-2 valve combo. The horn is also very responsive.

I still view the Adams as my "backup" to my Sterling, however it is definitely a notch above any of my Bessons in pitch and response and pretty equivalent in tone as far as I can tell. All in all, I can recommend any one of the three, but my first choice is still Sterling with Adams a near 2nd.

Sincerely,

Doug
    Last edited by daruby; 03-29-2017 at 02:40 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Have to asked Ken this question? I too am in the Detroit area and have known Ken for years. He currently plays a Prestige so can lend his expertise on that horn.
    Could we meet up sometime, so I could noodle around on the Prestige? That would help me immensely!
    Ben Dawley
    Music Director

As the above conversation shows, choosing among top-notch horns is a bit of a personal choice. Doug and I are both serious about our playing, both fans of the British style to some extent at least, and both quite experienced with horns and music. Doug thinks the Sterling and Adams are very close, and I agree. But Doug chooses Sterling over Adams, and I choose Adams over Sterling!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast