Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally an Adams Owner

Sorry, at the booth they told me it was just the Virtuoso I without the red brass or heavy caps. Just a plain yellow brass bell virtuoso.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks. So it would have still shown the fine playing qualities of the Virtuoso line. The bell and heavy caps would change the horn, but the standard model is fully a Virtuoso.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. It did have a heavy bottom 4th valve cap if I remember correctly, which helped a little with weight balance and probably did something for response (though I'm no expert!)

I've had the horn for about a month now and I wanted to share somethings about the horn.

As of now I finally got the valves exactly where I want them, I did make the switch to Yamaha Synthetic but the local store didn't have any this past week so I ended up getting Hetman's. For the first 2 weeks I cleaned and oiled the pistons everyday, and I switched to every two days.

As for the slides, I wasn't satisfied with the Monster grease from the start and using Hetman's 7 I have found it to work optimally.

Tuning wise I think the only note that has severely stuck out to me is the C right above the bass staf. I find it to be quite a bit sharp as usual but lipping it is not a problem.

Playing wise I am still in love with the way this horn plays. It's always so much of a joy to pick up this horn and play. Through the entire range I've developed a very comfortable response and tone. Anything below the pedal Db doesn't speak as well, which isn't a crazy common note, but I have just found it for me personally to be the breaking point. The response is by far the most impressive thing about this horn. It responds instantly on any note and slots extremely well.

An interesting thing I have decided to go for, is ordering a set of slides without spit valves. I have never really used spit valves on any horn always opting to pull the slide and dump out the spit, just because it's the most effective way to fully empty. Also for some reason the keys kept getting stuck to my clothing and i got worried about one of them getting pulled off. I'll post pictures once I get them in.
    Marco Santos - Marcher and Performer
    Guardians Drum & Bugle Corps 2015
    Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps 2016, 20i7, 2018

Adams E1
    Modified Schilke 52E2 by Justin Gorodetzky

I have finally received my new slides from Adams that remove the spit valves, and I think for me the instrument is as much as a match for me as one can get! I don't understand it but after doing a blind test today where a friend changed out the slides I was able to pick the spit valveless set everytime. For some reason it feels like the horn vibrate much more on the set of slides without the spit valves. I am highly pleased with the change for the instrument. Adams also sent me a stainless steel receiver that I have put into use. To me personally I feel like the change is very minimal but the major thing I have noticed is my mouthpiece gets in and out much easier, so that's a plus. They also sent me a "medium bore reciever" I don't know what they meant it as but for me it converts the horn to small shank. I would love to get a medium shank receiver though and try it out. As far as the way the small shank plays, it plays much smaller and focused, but a little too focused for me, so I'm sticking to large shank.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170404_222137.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	5044

Name:	20170404_222148.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	5046

Leadpipes (Stainless, "Small Shank", Large Shank)

Name:	20170404_222333.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	5045
    Last edited by Msan1313; 04-04-2017 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
    Marco Santos - Marcher and Performer
    Guardians Drum & Bugle Corps 2015
    Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps 2016, 20i7, 2018

Adams E1
    Modified Schilke 52E2 by Justin Gorodetzky

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12