Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Doug Elliott experience

I understand how anxious you must be to receive the mouthpiece, but with a one-person operation it's often necessary to be patient. As a player who goes to a few conferences, I'd love it if Doug had a booth at all the ones I attend, but he has to choose. And of course he does more than just tuba-euphonium conferences. Any time he is out for a conference he probably loses at least a day on each side of his travel for organization and follow-up stuff; then there is the travel; then there is time at the event; then he may actually want a day off instead of working 7-day weeks always; etc.

He could hire staff to help, but prices would soar. It's not unlike my own publisher, Cimarron Music, which is really a one-person operation. I used to be the one-person shop for Whaling Music back in the day, and I sold the business to Cimarron because it was just too hard to juggle everything. And I know some of my customers had to wait while the band was on tour or even doing a bunch of run-out concerts.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I understand how anxious you must be to receive the mouthpiece, but with a one-person operation it's often necessary to be patient. As a player who goes to a few conferences, I'd love it if Doug had a booth at all the ones I attend, but he has to choose. And of course he does more than just tuba-euphonium conferences. Any time he is out for a conference he probably loses at least a day on each side of his travel for organization and follow-up stuff; then there is the travel; then there is time at the event; then he may actually want a day off instead of working 7-day weeks always; etc.

He could hire staff to help, but prices would soar. It's not unlike my own publisher, Cimarron Music, which is really a one-person operation. I used to be the one-person shop for Whaling Music back in the day, and I sold the business to Cimarron because it was just too hard to juggle everything. And I know some of my customers had to wait while the band was on tour or even doing a bunch of run-out concerts.
    I do understand - I was a one-man operation for a while, and I work for a small fountain pen company with 4 employees that was a one-man show for a few years. When someone takes a day off, our workforce is down 25%, so I know what it's like.

I am slightly concerned that everything is OK - I've never heard of Doug taking this long to get back to anyone, and I am not the type to email over and over, so I will just wait, but it seems out-of-character. Our first contact was a month ago, and I tried to order in the beginning of February. When I was looking for my mouthpiece last year, he got back with me immediately. He wrote me 12 days ago after I paid and I replied and I haven't heard anything since.

Believe me, I am not trying to complain, I am just concerned about Doug and about getting the birthday present for my son on time.

I'm blessed to be able to get this for him, I am blessed to have a son who wants a mouthpiece as a birthday present, I will to continue to find my patience, and I'll cross my fingers that everything is OK.

Thanks, Dave!
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays
    Mack Brass Compensating Euphonium
    Wessex Dolce Compensating Euphonium
    Doug Elliott EUPH SN103, I, I9

The technologist in my wants to ask if you used the same email account in your recent attempts to contact Doug. If not, you could be caught in a spam filter.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    The technologist in my wants to ask if you used the same email account in your recent attempts to contact Doug. If not, you could be caught in a spam filter.
    I definitely used the same email address, I replied to the same email thread. I acknowledged the payment, too, and said he was out of shanks, but that was on the 12th.

It's hard - I really don't want to be a pain, but I am not sure how long to wait before trying again.
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

If you can't reach him via email, the Army band trombone workshop starts March 8. I'm sure he will be there.

Mike

Hi Mike - thank you! I sure hope I hear from him prior to that since my son's birthday is the 9th. I wish I could go to the Army Band Trombone workshop. The Tuba - Euphonium conference was amazing.
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

So while I wait, Logan liked the I cup a bit better than the J cup on the euph series. Is I the right choice for an aspiring artist or should he go to the J? Can he eventually swap out just the cup?
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

I like the 'I' cup myself, even though I mostly play on the Warburton 'Brandon Jones' signature model.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    Russian Christmas Music (Alfred Reed)
    El Cumbanchero (Rafael Hernández) cell phone video

I also like the Euph I cup better than the J. The J is just a little too much. You can swap out the cup and shank, you're not really supposed to mix and match different letter cups and shanks although it sometimes seems to work OK if you are in adjacent sizes.
    --
    Barry

Another vote for the I cup.....but depends what euph I'm on.....

For a number of years I've now been on the Euph 105 I 9s.

if I play a smaller sounding euph I go to a J cup or even a K, on a baritone I go H cup.
    at the moment I'm mostly on my Emminence so it's 105 I 8 to keep it a little more focused.
    When im on my Prestige it needs the 9 shank to keep the sound from being too bright for me.
    go with what Doug wrote down.....he's a star
    best
    Dave
    Current Euphs:
    Besson Prestige (German)
    York Eminence
    Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp/ Globe)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial
    Plus an attic of old classics in various states of repair!

Previous Euphs:

Geneva Symphony
    Wilson 2900 with Eminence leadpipe
    Sterling Virtuoso (300 mm heavy red brass bell)
    Cortios 167 II

'Gob Iron': Doug Elliott Euph 105 I 9s (plus a few others!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast