Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Doug Elliott experience

Our Doug Elliott experience

My son and I went to the Army Band Tuba Euphonium workshop last weekend. It was a life-altering experience for us. The people we met and what we learned and heard were amazing.

However, I wanted to share something about our experience walking over to Doug Elliott's booth in the corner. I made my son head over there to see what Doug would say about his current 4AL. He watched Logan (my son) play and asked him a few questions. Then he assembled a few mouthpieces to try. It was amazing; like getting fitted by a fine clothier

Logan plays a Wessex Dolce, and he's s fine young player. But one of the combinations dodo something I'd never seen before. He played pedal tones and the instrument came alive and all vibrated like a pipe organ. It rang the instrument like it was alive. The wide-eyed looks were all around. He'd always been able to hit those notes, but this made his instrument blossom to its full sonic potential.

We went really looking at buying a mouthpiece, but we couldn't stop thinking about the "magic mouthpiece" from Doug. We decided to order it anyhow.

Anxiously awaiting Doug getting back with us! I hope everything is still ok. He's the only one who has a written copy of the setup which was perfect. I don't even know what we need, I just know it will make a great birthday present.
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays
    Mack Brass Compensating Euphonium
    Wessex Dolce Compensating Euphonium
    Doug Elliott EUPH SN103, I, I9

Doug Elliot is the mouthpiece and musician combination magician, no doubt. Will be anxious to hear what it is that your son ends up with.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, Wessex EP-100 Dolce Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Wessex TE-360 Bombino Eb Tuba
    Rapid City New Horizons & Municipal Bands (Euphonium)
    Black Hills Symphony Orchestra (Bass Trombone), Powder River Symphony, Gillette, WY (Tenor Trombone)
    Black Hills Brass Quintet (Tuba)

Doug was awesome when I emailed him. I asked him about embouchure advice, and wanted to try one of his mouthpieces.

He asked me to send me some video of me playing in my full range. He sent back a reply with great tips and a full kit of mouthpiece parts.
    He told me to try the different combinations, and then send back what I didn't want.

I ended up with a 104J8 combination that I chose for myself.
    I really wish I had Doug there to make me a magic mouthpiece!
    It must have been like choosing your wand from Olivanders at Diagon Alley!
    My horn: Yamaha 642II Neo. My mouthpieces: Yamaha 51D, Yamaha 53SH, Denis Wick SM4X Ultra, Doug Elliot 104 J8

"It must have been like choosing your wand from Olivanders at Diagon Alley!"

That's exactly it!

5. I had the identical experience with Doug at the Army conference. I took my 4AL (played since 1981) and asked for his suggestions. It took several tries. I ended up with 103 rim, Euph J cup and J9 shank. I want it with gold rim and silver plated shank, so it will take a while to get it. Doug was very helpful. Of course, after 35+ years of playing the Wick 4AL, it may take a while to get used to the Elliott, or I may never get used to it, but I will have tried.
    Sterling Virtuoso 1052HS & Adams E3 Prototype 0.70 Top Sprung valves
    Sterling Virtuoso 1050HS baritone
    New England Brass Band
    Winchendon Winds/Townsend Military Band

Has anyone heard from Doug in a while? We were ready to order, but I've been unable to get a hold of him
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

He was driving to texas after TUSABTEW for TMEA and then to Chicago before heading back to Maryland, so I imagine it'd be a while before he got back in front of his email. That's an awfully big road trip!
    --
    Barry

The best way to reach Doug is through email. He keeps pretty busy between shows so is on the road a bunch.

Last week I emailed him that I needed to order a small shank for when I play baritone. He called back shortly to get my payment method and I had the shank in just a couple of days. Yes, Doug knows his stuff and does really good work. I won't directly post his email address, but it's DEMouthpieces (at) aol dot com.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    Russian Christmas Music (Alfred Reed)
    El Cumbanchero (Rafael Hernández) cell phone video

I emailed him a week ago. We are ready to order, but I will just be patient I guess. Thanks!
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

I paid for a mouthpiece on the 16th, he said he was out of shanks and would make one asap. Haven't heard anything for a week. I'm really hoping it make it in time for the kid's birthday....the waiting is killing me (my horn is also getting worked on right now so I'm doubly anxious.)
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast