Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought my daughter a packer 274S

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bought my daughter a packer 274S

This is for my daughter, who is a trombone player, but loves the euphonium

Played a ton of horns at TMEA, and second to the Adams was the packer (Eastman was very good too)

This thing has a great warmth but still has a soloistic quality. Fantastic instrument

We went back and forth between the packer and the jinbao, and we decided it was worth the extra money to go for this one. The jinbao just didn't have the tone we wanted. Joe Sellmansberger got a demo price on this particular horn that we could not refuse, so it was a no brainer

Last edited by 58mark; 02-11-2017 at 04:46 PM.

I too was at TMEA today and spent some time at the John Packer booth. I was fairly impressed. Of all the horns I played today, Adams, John Packer, Tuba Exchange, Miraphone, Besson, Tempest, and Jupiter were the ones I liked the most (euphonium and tuba wise). Adams had to be my favorite of all these horns.
    Jacob A. Casas
    TLU Sophomore
    Yamaha 642 Neo(School Owned), Denis Wick SM$
    Miraphone 186(School Owned), Giddings and W4bster Williwaw
    Besson New Standard 3v Comp, Yamaha 51D
    King 1140, Conn Helleberg
    King 607F Tempo II, Bach 5g
    King 605F, Conn 12c
    Conn 15a cornet, Bach 7c

Little known fact: If you hug your horn it will treat you better!

Congrats to her!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by 58mark View Post

Played a ton of horns at TMEA, and second to the Adams was the packer (Eastman was very good too)

This thing has a great warmth but still has a soloistic quality. Fantastic instrument

We went back and forth between the packer and the jinbao, and we decided it was worth the extra money to go for this one. The jinbao just didn't have the tone we wanted. Joe Sellmansberger got a demo price on this particular horn that we could not refuse, so it was a no brainer
    Congrats on the new horn!! You have a charming daughter, and now she has a charming, and lovable horn!! Euphonium and trombone - doesn't get much better!! I wish her many happy times with the new horn.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Congrats Mark, and to your daughter especially. May she have many blissful years of music making with her new horn. (nice picture for sure)
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

6. Mark,

Congratulations on the new horn. Let us know how your daughter likes it in the long term!

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

7. Quote Originally Posted by 58mark View Post

Congrats! We love the JP horns as well... We bought a few for the shop after TMEA as well.

Best,
    T
    Trent Austin
    Owner
    Austin Custom Brass
    www.austincustombrass.biz
    I started on Baritone BTW in 3rd grade band

8. The smile says it all! Congrats!

Here's something interesting. After getting a PM from another tubenet member who just bought one of these, I measured the bell. 11.8 inches, which is far enough larger than 11 that I wonder why they list them as a flat 11?

I don't care one way or the other, I still love the horn, but it is interesting that the bell is larger than listed.

[QUOTE=58mark;140229]Here's something interesting. After getting a PM from another tubenet member who just bought one of these, I measured the bell. 11.8 inches, which is far enough larger than 11 that I wonder why they list them as a flat 11?

Probably it is 374 model,that is 12 inches in the list.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast