Thread: Suggestions for Solos

1. Suggestions for Solos

So I'm a junior in high school and we've got Solo & Ensemble coming up in April. I'm kind of having trouble finding a solo that I like. I would prefer something that is either unaccompanied or just not extremely reliant on piano accompaniment (because I won't have an accompanist).

I do have the high B flat. However, in terms of difficulty, I'm not sure quite what I'm looking for. I don't really know if I want a more technical piece or a more musical one. Or even a bit of both? Maybe you guys have some ideas.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

-TJ

There is a 3-movement unaccompanied piece that is only 5 minutes long (and of course you could choose a movement or two):

Brian Israel, Dance Suite
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

^^

I think I heard that once. The funny thing is that if you're worried about technical skill - you could totally mess that suite up, and no one would be able to tell you were playing it wrong.

Just kidding - it's a "different" piece I guess you can say.
    My horn: Yamaha 642II Neo. My mouthpieces: Yamaha 51D, Yamaha 53SH, Denis Wick SM4X Ultra, Doug Elliot 104 J8

Have you seen Mazurka by Nicholas Falcone?

Here is a link to a performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdgEZ781u5U

It has moderate technical demands, but requires a lot of interpretation to prevent it from sounding repetitive. One thing to keep in mind is that doing an unaccompanied piece is harder than an accompanied one, since everything is dependent on you. No accompanist to back you up.

Mike

5. I will go check them out and see if I like them. Thanks!

Look for Sonata for Unaccompanied Euphonium by Clinard

the 2nd and 3rd movements make a nice recital piece. Modern, but it has a good melody and fun rhythms, and isn't afraid of silence (unlike most unaccompanied works)

7. I would second the Clinard. Good unaccompanied solo. I believe Pat Stuckemeyer has a recording of this piece.

Peace by John Golland, while having an accompaniment, *might* be worth considering. The melody is carried by the solo instrument for practically the whole piece, and it's an achingly beautiful little tune.

You might also consider looking at solo vocal pieces for tenors, there's probably a lot more for choice there. Of maybe do the same for a more prominent instrument like the French Horn, Cello, or Bassoon.
    Michael Lajeunesse
    Wessex Dolce in Lacquer, Dennis Wick 4AL with DW 'tone booster' MP sleeve
    Cosmopolitan Music Society of Edmonton, euphonium section

9. Okay so I've finally had a chance to listen to all of these back to back. I'm really liking Mazurka and Peace. The Dance Suite sounds fun but something about it just didn't quite "click" with me. I was considering the Sonata at first, but I decided against it.

Thanks for all these suggestions.

I'm curious though, does anyone have any suggestions for technically challenging pieces? Not necessarily unaccompanied either

Blue Lake Fantasies. There are 5 movements. Here is the first one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymju8F9ZbFE

Mike