Sponsor Banner

Collapse

Looking to rent/borrow baritone horn in D.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mbrooke
    • Jan 2006

Looking to rent/borrow baritone horn in D.C.

I am a euphonium player with the National Concert Band of America and the NOVA Alexandria Band at Northern Virginia Community College. The NOVA group is doing Lincolnshire Posey in May and I would like to do the baritone part on an actual baritone horn. I have checked around at various music shops, but cannot find any to rent. I also checked with a contact at George Mason University, but they do not have one. Does anyone know where I can get hold of one or know anyone that would be willing to lend one out for about a month?

Thanks,

Mike
  • bbocaner
    • May 2009

I have a Besson Prestige 2056 I'm not using, I'm in Herndon, VA. I do have a potential buyer in mind, but he's looking at having funds available this Spring, so that might work OK with your timeline.
    --
    Barry

Comment

• John Morgan
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by mbrooke View Post
      I am a euphonium player with the National Concert Band of America and the NOVA Alexandria Band at Northern Virginia Community College. The NOVA group is doing Lincolnshire Posey in May and I would like to do the baritone part on an actual baritone horn. I have checked around at various music shops, but cannot find any to rent. I also checked with a contact at George Mason University, but they do not have one. Does anyone know where I can get hold of one or know anyone that would be willing to lend one out for about a month?

Thanks,

Mike
      Hey Mike,

Well, we are from the same group!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	National-Concert-Band-of-Am.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	117033

I played in that group from 1989-1991 on euphonium when I was stationed at the Pentagon (years after my time in the U.S. Army Band). The great Arthur Lehman was in the euphonium section and what a thrill that was to play with him!!

Wish I could tell you where to get a baritone. Have you tried the service bands? Washington Music Center in Wheaton? They might rent or lend out one perhaps if they have a used trade.

Good luck finding one. What are you years in the National Concert Band? Did you play in one of the area's service bands?
      Last edited by John Morgan; 02-07-2017, 03:32 PM.
      John Morgan
      The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
      Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
      1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
      Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
      Year Round Except Summer:
      Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
      KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
      Summer Only:
      Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
      Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• mbrooke
        • Jan 2006

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the generous offer. I would need the horn from around March 16 to May 4. So, It would depend on your buyer. I just noticed that you play with the Brass of the Potomac. That's awesome! I always wanted to play in a brass band, but never had the opportunity. We floated the idea of starting one at NOVA, but it just fizzled out.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

• mbrooke
          • Jan 2006

Hi John,

I'm starting my third year with the group. Back around 1980, when I was 13, I played a few reheasals with them when Arthur and Harold Brasch were section members. I had purchased a record from Harold and when he found out I was local, he invited me to come out for some reheasals. I think they reheased at P.G. Community College at the time. At the time, I really didn't appreciate who I was playing with.

I didn' t play in a service band. Just a dedcicated amatuer. I don't think many ex-service people come to us anymore. Most seems to play with the Virginia Grand Military Band or one of the other high level groups.

Mike

Comment

• mbrooke
            • Jan 2006

Hi Barry,

Do you think my time frame wouls work for you?

Mike

Comment

• bbocaner
              • May 2009

Yes, I think it would work. I'll email you, Mike.
              --
              Barry

Comment

Working...
              X