Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need advice on lifting my baritone 4 inches

1. I need advice on lifting my baritone 4 inches

since the Quick Horn Rinse euphonium pad, which looks good, will raise my horn only 2-3/4 inches. I've tried pillows, towels, and sheets of styrofoam but nothing has worked very well. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Has anyone tried to add height to the Quick Horn Rinse pad? Thanks.

Little Jimmy
    Yamaha 621s YBH

I added one extra sheet of foam over and above the ones that came with it, which made it more comfortable for me. It was a 1/2" slab. I don't think the casing would hold much more than that. Otherwise you would need to find something to add to the top. One of those gardener's pads (green, tight, dense foam) or similar might be good for the top. The bottom is a nice material to stick to your pants, so I would not put it under the pad. But on top all you need is something your horn won't slide around on.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Two pads perhaps?

I'm 6 foot 8, and I have to hold a euphonium or baritone as if I'm standing. It never touches my lap.

I have tried rolled up towels held together with duct tape, but never found anything that really worked well

Have you looked into a Stewart stand?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone who plays baritone with it resting in their lap. The instrument doesn't weigh much, you just hold it up while you play. Euphonium, certainly, but not baritone.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone who plays baritone with it resting in their lap. The instrument doesn't weigh much, you just hold it up while you play. Euphonium, certainly, but not baritone.
    Yeah, my euph sits on a QHR pad on my lap, but I hold my bari up with most of the weight on my left hand.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Maybe he doesn't mean a british baritone. His signature says he has a Yamaha 621. He may have just used the term baritone to describe his 621 euphonium. Then this all makes sense.

It says 621 YBH, not YEP
    --
    Barry

9. Im Little Jimmy and yes, my 621s

is a baritone horn. Unfortunately I had back surgery last fall and am wearing a back brace. It's hard for me to keep my horn high enough, which is why I'm posting for advice. Thanks.

Little Jimmy
    Yama 621s YBH

aha, that explains it. Best wishes for you in quick healing. Yeah, whatever works for you, obviously! Try strapping rolled up towels to the bottom bow of the instrument with velcro straps.
    --
    Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast