Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solo in Portrait of Charlie Chaplin - breathing

Solo in Portrait of Charlie Chaplin - breathing

Our band director has put a familiar piece in our folders for next concert. It's "A Portrait of Charlie Chaplin", Charles Chaplin, S.J. Padilla, arr. by Takashi Hoshide. Our MD is director of Bravo Music so we get to play a lot of arrangements by Japanese composers / arrangers. This one is a very nice arrangement I think with a good euphonium part.

The example of a recording coming out of Japan is great! What I noticed is the euph soloist never breathes during the 9 measure solo or he/she is circular breathing. Our dir. is always harping on us not to breathe so often... especially on a bar line. When I need to breathe, I look for an end of a natural phrase - or just after a dotted quarter note, before an eighth note. It would be great if I could play this in one breath, but at age 70, it ain't gonna happen. My M5050 has a bore of .610 so it takes more air to begin with. Any suggestions?

Below is an image of the solo portion (starting just after letter 'C' and up to 'D'). It's marked Solo or Soli, but I don't think I'm hearing more than one voice... especially with a few 6th partials involved.

Below is a link to listen to an excerpt of this piece. Solo starts around 15 secs:
    Excerpt - "A Portrait of Charlie Chaplin"

See attached solo image:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chaplin Solo.jpg  
    Last edited by RickF; 02-08-2017 at 10:03 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

If yoy really have to, you could breathe after the B natural in bar 34. In the excerpt it is played connected to the next line, but I believe it actually is the end of the first part of the musical sentence, so a short break to breathe should be fine. Just like a comma in a spoken sentence.

Thanks MarChant. That's exactly where I breathed for that solo years ago when we recorded it. I still have a penciled breath mark there on the original music.
    Last edited by RickF; 02-08-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I agree that breathing after the B natural in measure 34 would be a good place. After listening to the solo/soli, I also think you could breathe after either of the first quarter notes in measure 35 and 36. That passage would be impossible for me to play with authority (right dynamics and tempo) in one breath. I would either circular breathe, which works good in this range and note lengths, or take breaths as I described above. In fact, I might even take a breath after the dotted quarter note C in measure 38.

If your band director is a real stickler for playing the whole thing in one breath, then I have a few ideas:

1. Do it if you can, good luck, and don't pass out
    2. Circular breathe or learn how to by next week
    3. If you do breathe, fake out your band director and breathe through your nose real fast so he won't know or see that you breathed
    4. If those all fail, hand your horn to your band director and ask him/her to play the passage in one breath

To me, when I see things that would be hard or nearly impossible to play in one breath, I just interpret the music musically and breathe where it makes sense and where it keeps the musical passage flowing as well as possible. I hear you, Rick, when your director says not to breathe over bar lines. Same in our band. There are other places, too, like when you crescendo into a measure, don't stop and take a breath before playing the note(s) you were crescendoing up to. Just need to use some smarts in breathing.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

In my prime when I was playing all the time I could have done it in one breath, but I don't think I could have sustained the necessary projection. Over the years I've learned a lot of ways to make my air last longer without hurting projection or phrase, but I THINK this one would have over-stretched me!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks guys for the suggestions. We had rehearsal tonight and this was the first piece up. Even though the dr. took that portion at a bit brighter tempo, I still had to breathe twice... the B natural in m34, and then again after the dotted quarter note in m38. That last breath was sort of insurance so I could finish the last note without dying out. Part of the problem was the band was too loud and found myself really playing forte for some of it.

I love some of your suggestions John. I never could circlular breathe. I tried the trick years ago using a straw in a glass of water trying to blow bubbles - then continue blowing with puffed cheeks while trying to sneak a breath in with your nose. I almost drowned.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Just listened to the recording. Taking it all in one breath ignores the structure of the line. The m. 33 beat 1 to m. 34 beat 2 is a sequence built on a quarter and two eighths, but m. 34 beat 3 and 4 do not continue the sequence despite having the same rhythm and ascending pitch profile. Clarity demands a breath between beats 3 and 4 to show the broken sequence.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Thanks for replying Adrian.

I don't think I'm going to worry about this. As our prior MD said many times, "the music needs to breathe too, but take a breath at the right time".

I just found the excerpt of our recording 5 years ago. I think it sounds okay. Maybe need more vibrato in a couple of places. (this was with my Yamaha 641). I took two breaths - one after B nat in 34, and again after beat 1 in 37... and the tempo was slower too.

A Portrait of Charlie Chaplin - solo excerpt
    Last edited by RickF; 02-08-2017 at 10:07 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I just found the excerpt of our recording 5 years ago. I think it sounds okay. Maybe need more vibrato in a couple of places. (this was with my Yamaha 641). I took two breaths - one after B nat in 34, and again after beat 1 in 37... and the tempo was slower too.
    I don't know about needing more vibrato. I don't sense a ton of room in the line for it. I'd look at shaping the figures a little more by bringing out the top of the scales.

Listening to the recording, both breaths feel very natural. If anything, it would be great if the conductor would give you a little more space for the m. 34 breath.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Friends:
    When all else fails, consider the lyrics:
    Smile though your heart is aching
    Smile even though it's breaking
    When there are clouds in the sky you'll get by
    If you smile through your fear and sorrow,
    Smile and maybe tomorrow
    You'll see the sun come shining through for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast