Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solo in Portrait of Charlie Chaplin - breathing

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I just found the excerpt of our recording 5 years ago. I think it sounds okay. Maybe need more vibrato in a couple of places. (this was with my Yamaha 641). I took two breaths - one after B nat in 34, and again after beat 1 in 37... and the tempo was slower too.

A Portrait of Charlie Chaplin - solo excerpt
    That is very nice, Rick, and nothing wrong at all in your breathing spots. I am going to ask our director to get this piece. I have never played it. Anyone know where to purchase and to listen in advance?
    Last edited by John Morgan; 02-07-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks John.

I noticed I made a typo in my very first post and misspelled the arranger's name. It should have been 'Hoshide' with an 'h' (now corrected). But even with that correct, I can't find it searching the web. Most of these arrangements are by "Brain-music" or... Bravo Music. I've emailed our Dir to see if it's available in the USA. It's about 6 minutes long.

One of my responsibilities for our band is to host or provide what we call 'listening files' so band members can play along to some good recordings with their instrument. These are only available for about 1 month until we play the concert. Then I take them down from my box.com acct. Since we only rehearse once per week, this helps individual players in rehearsing their part. They can plug in their ear buds and smart phone and play along.
    Last edited by RickF; 02-08-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

This sounds like it would be a GREAT piece for band. I haven't heard or played it (obviously) before. I am really going to try and find it. Any help would be appreciated by anyone who may know where to purchase it. I bet the audiences, especially older audiences, really like this piece.

We do the same thing as far as recordings for the Black Hills Symphony Orchestra. We call them educational files. Pretty handy for those that might not know the music.

Snorlax posted the lyrics to Smile. That is an excellent way to study tunes that have lyrics in all cases. I frequently listen to the lyrics to get the feel for the music. Nat King Cole, the master balladeer, made this song famous. And I think Michael Jackson had a pretty good version of it as well. If you listen to Nat, there are breaths after about every two bars, my kind of breather!!
    Last edited by RickF; 02-08-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Hi John. I sent you a PM or two.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

5. Are you on your own? If you have another Euph player you should be able to pick a a spot (usually lower in pitch and away from a rhythmic accent) where the second Euph can 'dovetail' or 'patch' a bar while you breath. Failing that, as snorlax said go back to the lyrics. Say/sing them a few times and trust your judgement. I think getting through in a breath may be possible, but not worth the compromise in sound quality/projection. Are there any YouTube clips? - I'd imagine a (tenor?) vocalist will have had to address the same problems.

Are there any YouTube clips? - I'd imagine a (tenor?) vocalist will have had to address the same problems.
    Yes, Nat King Cole sang this beautifully and breathed often - maybe every two measures. But the style is different with him singing behind the beat. Mr. Cole happens to be my all-time favorite male vocalist.

Smile - Nat King Cole
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Just an update on our band and this piece. Thanks to help from Rick Floyd, we got the piece ordered and have had it in our folders for a while. We are preparing it for several upcoming concerts. It really is a great piece and arranged so well. The Japanese arranger has a knack of making it sound just like it should and the ending note of the piece is really nice if done well (it ends very softly). I love playing the euphonium solo, you can do so much with it, and it lays in a perfectly singing range for the euphonium. And trying to play it in one breath, to me, is not important, there are several places in the solo that lend themselves to taking a quick breath without destroying the singing line. Nice trumpet spots as well. Just a great piece and I am sure an audience pleaser.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Friends:
    When all else fails, consider the lyrics:
    Smile though your heart is aching
    Smile even though it's breaking
    When there are clouds in the sky you'll get by
    If you smile through your fear and sorrow,
    Smile and maybe tomorrow
    You'll see the sun come shining through for you.
    Very well put. I don't like the interpretation on the clip above. The player did not think about the lyrics. And I don't know the metronome marking of this section but it seems fast to me for this melody.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12