Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Besson 3V Comp with forward bell

Besson 3V Comp with forward bell

Hello fellow euphonium and tuba players. It has been a while since I posted something. I am here because about a month ago, I was able to win a gem off ebay, a Besson 3v Comp with a forward bell. This is probably one of the most interesting horns I have ever played. It's just a unique instrument. It plays great and has really good tone and playability. I've been using mine in my high school band and for a region band concert 2 days after I got the horn and it really works for me in the concert band setting. I'm curious as to what y'all think of these horns? What kind of experience have y'all had with them?
    Jacob A. Casas
    TLU Sophomore
    Yamaha 642 Neo(School Owned), Denis Wick SM$
    Miraphone 186(School Owned), Giddings and W4bster Williwaw
    Besson New Standard 3v Comp, Yamaha 51D
    King 1140, Conn Helleberg
    King 607F Tempo II, Bach 5g
    King 605F, Conn 12c
    Conn 15a cornet, Bach 7c

2. Is it a three valve compensating with upright valves and forward facing bell? If so, that is essentially a New Standard 3 valve with a special bell for use in American wind bands or for marching. I played one of these when I was at UC Berkeley from 1971 - 74. It had a gold washed bell customization just for the marching band (I think we got it for free when we purchased 8 new Besson Sousaphones with satin silver finish and gold washed bells).

If your horn is as I described, it is a very nice horn. By the way, for concert work, I had a 4 valve euro shank Besson New Standard, vintage 1970-71 that they purchased for me after I auditioned! That was an AMAZING horn.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

The horn is indeed a 3 valve compensator with upright valves and forward bell. I believe it is a new standard. In terms of finish for mine, it's all lacquered. A little old but it has a lot of potential left in it.
    Jacob A. Casas
    TLU Sophomore
    King 605F, Conn 12c
    Conn 15a cornet, Bach 7c

4. By the way, I assume this horn has a euro shank receiver. My favorite mouthpiece would be a Wick 4AM, but since you play the SM4X, I would suggest a SM4MU. AFAIK, there is no SM4MX.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I use the Denis Wick for my school's King 2280. The Besson does have a euro shank but it came with a small shank adapter and a Yamaha 51D (really good small shank mouthpiece for me). I use that for the Besson and occasionally my Bach 5g. I was thinking of actually buying a euro shank mouthpiece but I wasn't too sure if my sound would be much different if I did.
    Jacob A. Casas
    TLU Sophomore
    King 605F, Conn 12c
    Conn 15a cornet, Bach 7c

6. BIG difference between the 5G/51D and the Wick SM4MU (or any Wick 4 for that matter). The 51D and the 5G are not too far apart. If you are happy using the adapter and either of the small shank mouthpieces, that is fine. I played a Bach 6 1/2AL using the adapter throughout University.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I use the Wick with the King for mainly auditions and solo performances(I used to use a Boosey and Hawkes Sovereign). Thats when I want my warmest sound. As for the 5G/51D with my besson, that's mainly for concert band work. The only exception was when I played solo in church the other day, I used the besson. It worked out very well.
    Jacob A. Casas
    TLU Sophomore
    King 605F, Conn 12c
    Conn 15a cornet, Bach 7c

8. Jacob,
    Congratulations on your purchase.
    50+ years ago a friend of my Dad's used to get a wonderful sound out of a Bell Front Besson.
    It was probably the first Besson I ever saw or heard.
    A year ago I could not resist and pulled a Besson Bell Front 4v Compensator off E-Bay.
    I really like the horn, but it is not the most comfortable Euph to hold.
    Jim
    Jim Babbitt
    1960s 4 valve and 1971 3 valve Besson New Standards (Denis Wick 6BM) for regular playing
    1936 Conn 5 valve 30I Double Bell (Bach 6-1/2AL) General Purpose Back -Up
    1924 Buescher 5 valve (the Denis Wick is close) and 1940 Holton 5 valve (Bach 6-1/2AL) Double Bells for kicks.
    1860s OTS Saxhorn when history is required (the Denis Wick fits)

I do agree with it not being comfortable to hold. I don't know if it's just my Besson, but the leadpipe is a lot lower than most horns.I have to hold the horn up a good amount to get it to reach.
    Jacob A. Casas
    TLU Sophomore
    King 605F, Conn 12c
    Conn 15a cornet, Bach 7c

10. Jacob,
    That is my observation also.
    Basically the rotating joint for the bell front blocks the area the lead pipe attaches to on the upright bell horns.
    One needs to find an appropriate pillow / block to avoid hunching over with the horn.
    Jim
    Jim Babbitt
    1960s 4 valve and 1971 3 valve Besson New Standards (Denis Wick 6BM) for regular playing
    1936 Conn 5 valve 30I Double Bell (Bach 6-1/2AL) General Purpose Back -Up
    1924 Buescher 5 valve (the Denis Wick is close) and 1940 Holton 5 valve (Bach 6-1/2AL) Double Bells for kicks.
    1860s OTS Saxhorn when history is required (the Denis Wick fits)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast