Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purchase Question

1. Quote Originally Posted by barriesargent View Post
    Thanks for the reply, and the advice. Mouthpieces is one thing I am curious about, as I understand there are three different bore sizes. I'll definitely be looking into that more in the future. Right now I'm just trying to get the playing part down; I can play treble clef fine, as it's the same as my trumpet, but reading the bass throws me because of the different fingerings due to being in a different key. I never was very good at transposing in my head, or with sight reading.

As for getting a new Mack rather than buying this used one, if I had the $$ in hand to day that would be the route I would go for sure. However, however, in order to keep playing while I save up to buy I'll have to rent for a while, so that rent money weighs into it as well. If I buy new later I've actually paid more because of the rent money I won't see any return on, but if I buy this one rent-to-own then I may be paying a couple hundred more, but my rent dollars aren't wasted. Aargh. Decisions, decisions!
    Actually how much have you paid for the renting? If you're happy with the one you're playing and you've actually spent $200 on the renting, then the rent-to-own option sounds good.
    The $200 delta between a one-time purchase and rent-to-own may be considered as the interest for monthly installment

Have you considered a second hand American made front action euphonium? If you are just playing for fun and you don't need to match British style euphoniums in a band, that might be a good option for you. They come up on eBay pretty frequently (Mr Werden often posts links to nice looking CONN front action euphs), the fingering is the same as any 3 valve Bb brass instrument and you might find it more comfortable to hold when standing. I've owned a front action Getzen for about 20 years. I recently bought a Monzani branded jinbao clone from a German retailer for less than A$600 (I'm in Aus). It's a great compensating horn for the price but I've kept my Getzen because it's a pleasure to play, even if it doesn't have the fourth valve. All the best in your hunt for a horn.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12