Thread: TEXAS: 4th valve tubing damage

1. TEXAS: 4th valve tubing damage

Good day. Might anyone on the forum know whether the damage in the attached pic is repairable (without the necessity to remove anything)? The tubing exiting directly out of the 4th valve casing to the front of the instrument into the 4th valve slide shows a couple of dents. I have yet to know if this will affect playability, but I would like to start planning on how to correct the issue as it does appear to be in a location that is difficult to reach. Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hirsbrunner dent.jpg  

A) I would think so, but B) the repair tech you plan to use should probably answer the question.

But we have a lot of folks here who are very smart about repairs, so I defer to their opinions if they chime in.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. I appreciate the response. I have read many of the threads on this forum, and there is definitely no shortage of very smart folks who know their stuff. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that I can say the same about repair technicians here in Austin, TX.....

I am not sure if he is in Austin, but I know he is in Texas. He did work on my bass trombone and is pretty good. His name is Eric Edwards - http://www.proinstrumentrepair.com/Home_Page.php
    If nothing else he might know someone in Austin.
    Good luck.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

5. Thank you much, Rodgeman. Eric is out of the Dallas area which is close enough.

Eric is great. Also look up the Rivard Bros in Arlington. I've been going to them for over 20 years, and They are always great

also Contact Terry Ghiselli: He's in San antionio. Never used him but several people I know swear by him
    (210)-896-8862
    https://www.facebook.com/HSMusicService/?pnref=lhc
    Last edited by 58mark; 01-30-2017 at 08:26 PM.

7. These sound like some great options, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by longhornpatino View Post
    Good day. Might anyone on the forum know whether the damage in the attached pic is repairable (without the necessity to remove anything)? The tubing exiting directly out of the 4th valve casing to the front of the instrument into the 4th valve slide shows a couple of dents. I have yet to know if this will affect playability, but I would like to start planning on how to correct the issue as it does appear to be in a location that is difficult to reach. Thank you.
    easy location to reach because they can go in from both the valve casing and the tuning slide. A little tricky because you want to make absolutely certain not to distort the piston casing in doing it. It's hard to tell just how bad it is or how close it is to the casing itself from your photo, but I don't think it's a huge deal.
    --
    Barry