Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1969 Silver Conn Connstellation = Looks Pretty Good

1. Thumbs up 1969 Silver Conn Connstellation = Looks Pretty Good

This Conn Connstellation 24I has the much rarer satin silver finish. The serial number M95449 places this as a 1969 model, the penultimate year of Connstellation manufacturing. This horn appears to be in VERY good condition. Valve pictures are now included. All of the trigger parts are present, even the original TWO thumb nuts, though the one that is supposed to go inside of the cross brace is installed improperly. The Connstellation specific mouthpiece adapter is included.

Starting bid price is $1,249.00
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-Connstellation-4-Valve-Silver-Baritone-Euphonium-/361907778538

SOLD FOR $1,249

The seller is a pawn shop in Chicago Heights, Illinois.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2479[1].jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	4809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	4805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	4806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (3).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	4807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (4).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	4808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2481[1].jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	4810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2483[1].jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	4811
    Last edited by davewerden; 02-27-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Oh, I LIKE that one! Thanks for posting it. A once-over with spray-on silver polish and this would be beautiful. (It's pretty darned good-looking even now, but I have found that polish makes the finish look really consistent and adds a lot to the appearance. I just would not want to over-polish a satin horn.)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. A little bit of semi-gloss black spray paint would fix the case, as well.

The seller is:

AA Pawner's Exchange
    1834 Chicago Road
    Chicago Heights, IL 60411

https://aapexchange.com/

I called and spoke with them this morning to ask about the horn. Dave, you could drive there from Minneapolis!...
    Last edited by daruby; 01-26-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Thanks for the updates, Doug (and the VM!). I'm choosing to not yield to temptation on this one, though.

Actually, given my tricky lower back issues, I think my next horn priority would be to get rid of my Sovereign Eb tuba (which weighs a ton) and replace it with something much lighter. Right now I don't want to tackle wrestling the horn up & down my basement staircase and in & out of my car, not to mention just picking it up off the floor. One of the good points of the Sovereign is the heavy metal, so it has a very solid bass sound, but that can be a drawback when your back start acting up!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

5. A Wessex perhaps? Looks like they have three different models of 4-valve compensating Eb's. I am pretty sure all would be marginally lighter than the Sovereign, but probably not much easier ergonomically. Or their Tournister, but it is Eb/F so I would wonder about intonation.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Price was lowered a few bucks. That and the new link are updated in the original post.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

I have a 24I which I love and is all original. (dates to 1963) Right now I am having the bell restored as I have done some damage over the years that the finish shows it. The body of the horn is in excellent shape and not many pings and dings are left. My repair guy says many of these horns are missing the main tuning trigger or parts of. I have never seen one with that sort of finish. I'm not sure about the pricing vs demand. I've been asked many times if my horn was for sale and answer how much are you willing to offer? It's a great horn and since it was a gift from my parents, I will never part with it. Still looking for the upright bell instead of the bell forward. The intonation of this horn is very good and the fourth valve tuning slides can be extended to give access to the lower range. My horn is the Henry Smith model who played for Philly and a great musician and person. The downside of the horn in years past was finding a mouthpiece to fit. I wound up having a large shank shaved down. Now there are easier solutions.
    Last edited by BDeisinger; 02-20-2017 at 07:05 AM.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Thanks for the updates, Doug (and the VM!). I'm choosing to not yield to temptation on this one, though.

Actually, given my tricky lower back issues, I think my next horn priority would be to get rid of my Sovereign Eb tuba (which weighs a ton) and replace it with something much lighter. Right now I don't want to tackle wrestling the horn up & down my basement staircase and in & out of my car, not to mention just picking it up off the floor. One of the good points of the Sovereign is the heavy metal, so it has a very solid bass sound, but that can be a drawback when your back start acting up!
    I have a Bubbie 5 F/Eb if you want to try one. It's not for sale, but being able to try before you purchase may help your decision. I also have a York 641 that is small and light, good York sound. As you know, I'm just across town.

I've always had a yearning to own a Connstellation and this one looks to be in great shape, so I won the auction (with the minimum bid, I'm surprised to say) and should have it here in a few days. Full report to follow. Anyone with mouthpiece tips? It's apparently coming with a Bach 9 mouthpiece. I'm not clear on Bach sizing, but that seems like it will be TINY. Also, there's the issue of a shank adapter. What sort of mouthpieces do well with a Connstellation? What size shank? S?M?L? I use a Wick 4AL with my Besson.
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

I'm a bit jealous, Pat - have fun with the horn! (I know, I know... I had my chance!)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast