Thread: Yamaha YEP-642 Neo mouthpiece advice

Yamaha YEP-642 Neo mouthpiece advice

Hey guys! I currently play with the 51L mouthpiece that came with my euphonium but it just doesn't feel right to me. Yeah it does the job of being able to play notes but I'd prefer a different mouthpiece. If I were to get a a different mouthpiece for it which one would fit correctly? Will a 51D Shilke work? If I remember correctly, I used that mouthpiece for my baritone during marching season a long time ago and enjoyed it very much but it was borrowed off of someone. Thanks!

The Schilke 51D is a fairly popular mpc for euphonium. It's deeper than the Yamaha 51L.

Welcome to the forum.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I am using a Yamaha 642 Maestro (the older 642 model that preceded the Neo). I was originally using a Denis Wick SM4U, however I didn't find that it worked well with the instrument. So I tried a Bach 4G based on recommendation, and it has come to be a great fit. I get a smoother tone that is more solid, and the traditionally sharp 6th partial isn't as sharp as like it was on the Wick. Also better rim. There are a few gripes I have with the Bach, but I haven't tried a mouthpiece yet that seems to work better with me and the instrument, so for the time being I am happy using it.

There is a perception out there that Bach's/Schilke's seem to work better on Yamaha horns then Denis Wicks, and I would have to agree. But don't let that turn you off Denis Wicks. They are awesome mouthpieces in their own right.

I have given the Yamaha 51L a bit of a play and I didn't like it. I pretty much played it for about 5 minutes and put it back. I would recommend that you try a Bach 5G or a Schilke 51L and see how you go. However it is important you try as many as you can and find the best one for you.
    Last edited by Cameron J.; 02-12-2017 at 05:21 AM.

I will chime in too, since I have a 642 Neo also - but mouthpieces are very personal, so you'll have to choose what feels and works well with you.

I started out playing with a Yamaha 51D, and then tried the Dennis Wick/Steven Mead SM4UX - I actually like the way this mouthpiece plays, but my friends say they don't like the sound as much as the next mouthpieces I'll mention. It does "feel" like the center of the tone is "fuzzy" but I like the playability of the mouthpiece a lot.

I also play a Doug Elliot 104J8 and my wife thinks this one sound good. I think it plays very well too.

My current favorite mouthpiece is my Yamaha 53SH. It seems to sound really good on the 642 Neo, and it plays well also. Compared to the DE or the SM, it seems to have a brighter high range, but a little less room to move around in the bottom end (for me).

I really like all the mouthpieces I mentioned, but I guess I just pick what suits my mood at the time.

Good luck on finding "THE" mouthpiece! I hope it's a fun and musical journey!
    My horn: Yamaha 642II Neo. My mouthpieces: Yamaha 51D, Yamaha 53SH, Denis Wick SM4X Ultra, Doug Elliot 104 J8

I play a 642 neo. I tried out a bunch of different mouthpieces but the Giddings and Webster Carbonaria is my favorite mouthpiece to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Tried the Dennis Wick/Steven Mead SM4UX - I actually like the way this mouthpiece plays, but my friends say they don't like the sound as much as the next mouthpieces I'll mention.

I think Anson makes a good point above. Audition any mouthpiece(s) you are considering in front of your musical friends. Sometimes they hear sounds that you can't hear (given that your is ear next to the bell).

7. On both of my horns - Sterling Virtuoso and Yamaha 642 neo - the SM4XU works very well. Next best choice for me is a larger SM3U on the Sterling and a smaller GW Kadja for the Yamaha. I have lots of other mouthpieces (JK 2B, Bach 4G, Y51L, Schilke 51D, DW 4AL and other smaller ones like Bach 5, 6 1/2AL, 7C, 12C) My experience: After a week of practicing I can get used to each of the around 26mm mouthpieces and play my music with the singing timbre I like and without thinking much about mp.
    I have the feeling changing mouthpieces occasionally helps developping my embouchure. Sort of challenges the chops and forces them to make some small adaptions. Going back to my standard SM4XU always feels great.
    Sterling Virtuoso / Giddings Kadja
    Yamaha 642 II / Giddings Kadja
    Yamaha YBH 831S / Giddings Kadja S
    Yamaha Flügelhorn 631GS / DW2FL