Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mouthpiece characteristics for a british baritone

Mouthpiece characteristics for a british baritone

I recently purchased a Wessex BR140 baritone. It came with a heavy weight cone shaped mouthpiece. I don't know the size, but I guess it is in the 4 to 6 range. Previously I have been playing a Wick 6BY on an old Conn Double bell. I liked that mouthpiece. Does anyone have an opinion of the differences between these two mouthpieces and what tonal differences I might get by using either mouthpiece?

I know nothing about your Wessex-included mouthpiece, so I can't compare. The Wick is an industry standard, so it's a safe bet.

Can you describe the differences you feel and hear when using both mouthpieces in your new baritone?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

My Jinhao baritone (ordered directly from China) came with an unmarked Dennis Wick-clone mouthpiece. The diameter is smaller than my DW 4ABL; I'm thinking maybe a 6 something, but that is only a guess.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I know nothing about your Wessex-included mouthpiece, so I can't compare. The Wick is an industry standard, so it's a safe bet.

Can you describe the differences you feel and hear when using both mouthpieces in your new baritone?
    I don't have the 6BY any more, I was thinking of getting one. I will try a friend's first. The Wessex mouthpiece is a true cone (like a french horn mouthpiece). The inside rim diameter is 25.87 (which makes it like a Wick 4 or 4.5). The rim is semi flat and is 7 mm wide. This cone depth appears to be 38 mm. I have added a picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0629.jpg  

5. I have been playing British Baritone for a number of years now. I tried a LOT of different mouthpieces and have found my two favorites are either a Bach 5G or a Wick 6BS (NOT the SM6B). If find the these two to be VERY similar, allowing a nice deep baritone tone, yet providing enough back pressure and shallow enough cup to make the high range very accessible and pitch pretty near spot on. I find the Wick SM6B to be too deep and sharp for my taste, though the rim diameter is fine.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Totally agree with Doug on this. I use a Doug Elliott setup on baritone, but the SM-series and Alliance mouthpieces are too deep.
    --
    Barry

7. I also have a question about a mouthpiece for my

Yamaha 621s baritone. I use a Schilke 51D but have a friend who has a plastic mouthpiece which helps his upper range. I don't want to spend much but wonder if the Kelly plastic mouthpiece might be a good one for helping me with my upper range. I'd appreciate comments. Thanks.

Jim
    Yamaha 621s baritone

ordinarily I'd say the 51d was too deep for baritone, but the 621 is a pretty thin-sounding instrument to begin with, so maybe it'd work. I'm not a believer in using a mouthpiece to extend range, you should have the strength to play high notes with any mouthpiece. I'd work on embouchure strengthening instead of buying a new mouthpiece.
    --
    Barry

9. Jim,
    You asked a very good question. I don't usually recommend buying a mouthpiece with the specific intention of extending your high range playing. You might be able to extend your range a little bit with a different (smaller) mouthpiece, but any notes that you gain in your high range through this method will probably be thin sounding and not well developed. Mouthpiece switching is something that does have its place, but only in certain applications. Most brass players who are switching mouthpieces during a concert are usually doing it with the purpose of achieving a different timbre or something like that. It's almost never because they can't hit a high note without a smaller mouthpiece.
    The best way to gain some extra notes in the high range is through the practice room. If you consistently devote some time during your personal practice towards high range studies, you will undoubtedly see some improvement. And the best parts is that practicing is cheaper than buying another mouthpiece!
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes
    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

Back to the Wessex BR140. I tested the Denis Wick 6BY against the supplied mouthpiece. First, the sound is noticeably brighter with the 6BY. The Y shank is a bit big, so the S shank is the proper one for this instrument. I will be getting the 6BS and I will have the sound I'm looking for. The supplied mouthpiece is a a mellower and will have some uses too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast